Aluclad: could the timber warp in the Irish climate?

Aodhán

For windows and doors for the house, I'm deciding between aluclad by Rationel (u value: .83) or aluminium by Wright Windows (u value: 1.1). They are coming in at the same price (I had expected Rationel to be much more expensive).

Both look lovely, and I'd instinctively be inclined to give the business to the Irish company (having been to the showroom in Milltownpass the firm is the only bit of life there).

However, Rationel also have a gorgeous window and, importantly, the u value is better than Wrights.

I've therefore a few questions:

1. How important in terms of money/energy saving/BER rating is the difference between both u values? Should it be a make or break issue?

2. Is timber suited to the Irish climate? I've been told that it isn't as it will warp. Is this likely? Could there be an issue with the timber on the inside of the aluclad window?

3. Which would you choose between both products/manufacturers, and why?

I've therefore a few questions:

1. How important in terms of money/energy saving/BER rating is the difference between both u values? Should it be a make or break issue?

2. Is timber suited to the Irish climate? I've been told that it isn't as it will warp. Is this likely? Could there be an issue with the timber on the inside of the aluclad window?

Aodhán - did you ever get answers to these questions? I'm just starting the process of investigating replacing my current single glaze wooden framed windows with Aluclad.

Back