Alu-Clad Sliding Sash Windows

cork boy

Hi

I have recently got planning for a new build in North Cork and am looking for sliding sash windows.

I don't want u-pvc and know that I would not have the discipline to maintain timber once the initial powder coating wears off - that leaves alu-clad or composite windows. I looking for advice/ recommendations. Not everyone does this on slding sash windows. The following are the suppliers that seem to do it:

Marvin - appear to be top quality and priced accordingly
Joseph McNally Joinery (importing Peachtree windows from USA) - I know nothing about this product and haven't yet seen it
Anderson Black Millhouse - I saw a composite window (400 series) - looks good quality and am told that it is quite a bit cheaper than Marvin
Creative Windows (importing Kolbe from USA) - - I know nothing about this product and haven't yet seen it
West Port (associated with Rationel) - I know nothing about this product and haven't yet seen it

Have I missed out on any significant supplier. Any comments about the above suppliers and their windows, good or bad.

All advice appreciated

Thanks

Cork Boy

Last edited:
I don't want u-pvc and know that I would not have the discipline to maintain timber once the initial powder coating wears off - that leaves alu-clad or composite windows.

Why not just get a painted finish instead of powder coating.

As for maintaining the windows---you get walls painted inside the house outside the house, gates, ceilings, internal doors, exyernal doors, skirtings, architrave, cupboards, kitchens, why on earth would you not get your windows painted too.

I usually look after the painting myself. There is a fundamental difference between walls and windows - walls won't rot if you don't paint them.

You may disagree, but I personally (a) don't want the ongoing expense of hiring in a painter to do the windows on an ongoing and basis and (b) won't install unclad timber windows when I am not able to fully commit to the inherent maintenance work.

Any advise on clad windows would be welcome

Thanks

Cork Boy

I usually look after the painting myself. There is a fundamental difference between walls and windows - walls won't rot if you don't paint them.

You may disagree, but I personally (a) don't want the ongoing expense of hiring in a painter to do the windows on an ongoing and basis and (b) won't install unclad timber windows when I am not able to fully commit to the inherent maintenance work.

Any advise on clad windows would be welcome

Thanks

Cork Boy

I take on fully what you say but it should be pointed out that the painting of windows (with oil based paints) only needs to be done once every 5 to 7 years.

Also Iroko can be left untreated for long periods of time without rotting and I mean decades.

Hardly high maintenance.

Back