Alternator - what is it and why would it break down

Bronte

Apparently the alternator in my Opel Agila has gone, the car is 2.5 years old and has about 13K kilometres. What makes the alternator go, it's linked to the battery, but this concept I do not understand. I thought because I'd left a door open that the inside light had worn down the battery but this is not the case. I'm still driving it (it could stop at any moment) but this will not damage the car, is this correct?

The battery is used to start the car.

Once the engine is running, it drives the alternator via a belt and pulley system, which recharges the battery.

The alternator, which is an electro-mechanical device, is prone to wear and tear. The most common faults are bearing wear on the mechanical side or the voltage regulator on the electrical side.

You can continue to drive until the battery discharges itself completely. It shouldn't harm the car, but you may find yourself stranded.

Mine went last week as well but my car had alot more mileage then yours. One thing I recommend though is to shop around - as per another thread, I saved a fortune by not going through an authorised dealer. THere was over €250 diff for the alternator alone when getting it through another dealer- got mine through a friend so was cheaper again.

They have carbon brushes that wear out as well.

Should be possible to get a refurbed one rather than new.

As mentioned there are usualy a few standard things that fail, so worth repairing.

No altenator means no power

Thanks for the replies, still don't understand why it would go with such low mileage, luckily I'm covered for it under a parts guarantee (costs 600 Euro new apparently) and I'll have another year guarantee on it when it's fitted. Also in the AA equivelent but I have to actually be stranded and get them to tow it and then they will give me a replacement car, but not if I go to the garage and leave it there which is what the garage wanted. I had the battery recharged twice by the AA and that's what made me go to the garage to see what was wrong plus a side effect of the problem is that the kilomotre guage (digital clock style) is blank and the speedometer and petrol guage are not working. How will the garage know what kilomotres to put up?

I saw a friend use his 2 week old Avensis to jump start another car, he told me he had to get his altenator replaced shortly afterwards. Be advised.

Would repair to this not be covered under manufactures warranty. Usually 3years or 60000miles

Yes it's covered under warranty, car working still, only need it two more times as I don't use it at the weekend, and garage will put in new Alternator Monday.

Back