Health Insurance Alternatives to VHI One Plan for couple in their 60s

Coldwarrior

My parent's health insurance is up for renewal and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any better alternatives to the VHI One Plan that they are on? I was looking at the Laya Inspire Plus as a possible contender to switch to, it'd work out slightly dearer (extra 18 euro per month in total) but seems to give a lot better day to day cover than the VHI plan while still having access to a Swiftcare type clinic. If anyone knows of any disadvantages to this plan or any better alternatives, I'd appreciate any info.

If the clinic aspect is important, they should stick with VHI.
Anecdotally have heard from a few people and their experiences with the LAYA clinics weren't great.
There seemed to be 'upselling' of scans etc going on at the LAYA ones, and issues with LAYA centres offering scans but not having consultant arrangements.
But perhaps other people might have had better experiences.
There are also public swiftcare type clinics such as that in Smithfield.

Just to note though as your parents get older these clinics get more and more reluctant to deal with them due to the risk of complications and may end up you referring to the full hospital network.

Laya Inspire Plus has a 20% shortfall on certain procedures such as hip surgery (orthopedic) although I have heard this may be waived in practice.
Laya simply connect plus or simplicity as well as some other Laya plans don't have this shortfall - thee are some threads on this forum about that.

My parent's health insurance is up for renewal and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any better alternatives to the VHI One Plan that they are on? I was looking at the Laya Inspire Plus as a possible contender to switch to, it'd work out slightly dearer (extra 18 euro per month in total) but seems to give a lot better day to day cover than the VHI plan while still having access to a Swiftcare type clinic. If anyone knows of any disadvantages to this plan or any better alternatives, I'd appreciate any info.

Hi Coldwarrior,

If you want to stay with VHI I suggest you give Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 some consideration. It comes in at about fifteen Euro a month more
than your parents are paying for their current plans.

However the outpatient day to day cover is far better. The excess is €1 on this plan compared to €250 on One Plan. Before you can claim anything back on day to day expenses on One Plan you have to spend €500. With Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 you can spend up to €2001 on these expenses and claim back a maximum of €1000 per member per year.

Please be aware that there is a 20% shortfall with both these plans for Orthopaedics. 80% cover for certain orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures on both these plans.

I hope this is helpful.

Back