Alternatives to Phonewatch

Ideally, how often should the control panel battery be replaced? I have a Phonewatch control panel. My contract is up soon and I am currently looking at alternatives.

Depends on the quality of the battery used, but 3-5 years would be a typical service life. These are usually sealed lead acid .

Also how often should the others - Pirs and doors/windows batteries be replaced?

Probably ~3-5 years, but will depend on factors such as distance from main panel, how often they are triggered, etc.

I was quoted €5 for each battery change and €20 for the control panel battery by a local service company - one I am considering as a Phonewatch alternative.

The wireless sensors generally use CR123a [broken link removed], most Irish shops will charge €4 plus, but you can get them cheaper online. The panel will report battery low faults for these sensors, and you can replace them yourself without the engineer code if you're OK with the alarm triggering once you open the sensor to replace. A second person ready to input your code at the keypad will lower the nuisance level for your neighbours.

Thanks PaddyB.

Leo, that is very helpful - much appreciated. I probably would not have considered switching except for your posts on this thread and others, so thank you for that also.

Regards

Marion

Always happy to help Marion. PhoneWatch losing business is just icing on the cake for me :D

I've limited delaings with other companies, but from those I've had, I'd recommend [broken link removed] in Dublin or AP Systems in Kilkenny.

Most providers here won't have their own app as the systems are pretty well locked down, and the big manufacturers will provide their own app. If you have a HKC or Siemens system, any supplier should be able to set you up with the appropriate app.

You should try http://www.action24.ie/ they operate in this space and I have never had an issue with them answering the phone. I have had their system for over a year and have had no issues. They are based in Sandyford in dublin and are an irish company

So I have an alternative company in to set me up with new 24/7 controller. I had advised Phonewatch I would not be renewing.

Result: blocked.my Engineer code was charged.

Note: my contract is still in place for a few days.

My engineer code has been changed unknown to me remotely.

New company can do absolutely nothing.

I ring Phonewatch for my engineer code. They tell me of procedure. Sign off document that they will send out. Grand.

My new guy has to leave.

Within an hour, I receive what I can only say is an aggressive phone call from Phonewatch. Would I not have thought to contact the Company for a cheaper price before leaving company? I inform them that I own my system. Not rental or leased- and that I should have Been notified about a change to engineer code.

There was NO CALL to alert me that an unknown was attempting to access my main controller! I would have thought this was the priority call!

Marion
Annoyed.ie

My engineer code has been changed unknown to me remotely.

Might be worth contacting koolkid =>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735804
I also came across this (don't know how true it is):

... "the engineer code is the last 4 digits of the account number I think."

and

... "If it's a phone watch alarm, then your original reference number will be your engineer code."

Worth a shot!

P.S. I got rid of Phone Watch years ago ... 'twas a good decision made. (I also got rid of SKY last November ... another good decision made!)

Thanks PaddyB

I have my account number. No problem there.

They knew I had it I had just contacted them a few days ago and they changed it remotely unknown to me after I had contacted them to say I would be terminating contract.

I should not have given them advance information. Lesson learned!

My point is that they changed my engineer code despite the fact that I am still in contract with them and they did not advise me of this.

Crucially, They also did not advise me of an attempt to enter my system (even if known by me)

Marion

I will see what transpires over the next few days before making any decision.

Thanks PB

Marion

I've been in touch with KoolKid before, he knows his stuff.

The PSA seem very reluctant to take on PhoneWatch for some reason. The site assessments and proposals PhoneWatch produce fall well short of of the requirements of the legislation, but they seem to keep on getting away with it.

Back