Alternatives to Irish Life Consensus Fund

treadstone

My employer pension scheme is currently 100% allocated Irish Life's Consensus Fund which I understand has large bias towards Irish Stocks, however, we were recently reminded of the other fund options. I'm 38 years old earning 80k and funding the full 20% (employer contributes 8%)

Given the current market outlook, which of the following alternative funds should I consider allocating percentages to;

·Irish Life Indexed Global Equity Fund (invests 100% in equity/stock-market assets)
·Irish Life Global Access Managed Fund (holds about 75% equities, with a significant proportion in Irish stocks and shares)
·Irish Life Indexed Long Bond invests in EU Government stock which tends to experience low volatility and low potential returns
·Irish Life Cash shows very low volatility and potential returns in line with deposit interest rates.

You should only "jump ship" if the fund you wish to invest in has the correct risk profile for you. Remember you are 38 and probably will not be accessing these funds until you are 60 or 65. It is a long term investment .................................etc. etc.

While the fund may be down in value, assuming you are funding by payroll on a monthly basis, you have been purchasing more units at a lower cost when the fund returns have been falling. This is really only critical as you approach your retirement age or if you "were switching employer" to a less volatile fund.

If you are not happy with votality then some of the other fund options may also not be appropriate for you.

Speak to your scheme advisors and get them to match your risk appetite to the funds they recommend. That is what they get paid for.

Back