Alternatives to "blue bangors"

Orad

Hi,
I am currently renovating a farmhouse.
It had old "blue banger" slates. Unfortunately it is not possible to re-use them.

I believe you can buy new blue bangors - but they are very expensive.
Reclaimed blue bangors are almost as expensive.

Many of new slate products would ruin the look and character of the farmhouse.

Does anyone have any experience of using any new natural slates that have a traditional look to them?

Would really appreciate any info....Thanks

Thanks Petermack!

Their Campo range looks pretty close to Blue Bangor. Will definately check them out....

Hi

I was at the self build show in Galway a few weeks ago and a company there called Richmond had blue bangor slates on display.
One of their guys explained that they are supplying blue bangor with a fixing system that works out cheaper than normal.
Can I mention the name of the guy I spoke to?
He also mentioned something about grants being available for re-roofing old buildings.

Thanks vwkirsty. Yes, I had a look at Richmonds website. Their Blue Bangor products look pretty good.
I also saw the fixing system you mentioned:
[broken link removed]

which claims that you need only need half the quantity of slates.

Anyone any experience of using this system ?

Hi Orad

We are just starting a new build and have decided to use the nu-lok system from Richmond. I went to see a job that they had supplied and also saw a job in progress. Our only decision now is which slate to pick to use!! We like the idea that they have a roofer who will come on site to show our carpenter how to install.

Hope this helps!!

how did you (or anyone else) get on with the NU-LOK system? Does it really save on slates and labour? anyone have any experience of it from Richmond?

how did you (or anyone else) get on with the NU-LOK system? Does it really save on slates and labour? anyone have any experience of it from Richmond?

Tegarl do a slate called Canadian heather which is similar to Blue Bangor (so similar it has be used in some of the national parks of Wales)

The Nu-Lok system that Richmond supply is very good, BUT it is only certified for use with ceramic tiles by the IAB

Back