Alternatives to a Septic Tank...??

Joanne

I noticed a cottage for sale which has no septic tank and no mains. As it stands at the moment it's not possible to get a mortgage on the cottage due to this.

Apparently the site is too small for a septic tank to be placed in the garden, as the garden is too small and the tank has to be placed a certain distance from the house.

I was wondering if anyone knew any alternatives to septic tanks which might be permitted to be placed in a garden.

It's a long shot, but just thought I'd ask...!

Isn't there something like a biomass (?) system that can be used instead of a septic tank?

...........and a reed-bed purification system (which I'm currently trying to find information about). You can also compost human waste in a 'green' lavatory system but it's hard work. As well as the space required and their sheer ugliness septic tanks must be vulnerable to leaking/overflowing and the chemicals used can't be too attractive given the job they do.

there are a variety of methods of treating sewage for a single house. Each will require planning permission, (so if you are thinking of purchasing, only offer subject to planning, unless you can hold it for a long time). Any treatment system will have to comply with the requirements of the EPA treatment plant guidance for single houses.
[broken link removed]

Back