Alternative to Wall Tiles

Gimme

I want to refresh my bathroom walls and instead of tiling them again I was thinking of using a PVC type boarding with tile design. I think it might be easier to fit and easier to replace again in a few years.

I saw it a few years ago but haven't seen it recently anyone know where it can be got? I tried B&Q, Home base and Atlantic Homecare.

Has anyone ever used it and is it any good?

I've seen this used in two houses I rented as a student (10 years ago) and back then it looked very naff - great for cleaning but who wants their bathroom walls to look like the side of a caravan ? No offence - maybe there are newer products out there that look better but it wouldn't be something I'd go for.

Have you considered Mirrors ? or painting the wall and using sealed glass panels ?

cheers.
nai

Wainscoting is a cost effective alternative to wall tiling and can look very smart if painted white and teamed with a contrasting colour for the top half of the wall....

[broken link removed]

I have seen the tile panels you are referring to in Woodies. They are very impressive looking, very glossy in appearance but only come in a limited range of colours. I don't see them on the website but I have definitely seen them in two of their stores.

What you say was grosfillex wall pannelling, i put some up for my mother in the toilet and turned out brilliant, that was 5 years ago and still look perfect...most prople think they are tiles, easy to clean with a wipe of a cloth. very easy and quick to fix...and waterproof. I got them in 4 Homes superstores. very cheap compared to tiling and get the same effect. I did a google search and found this website who supply them [broken link removed] ..the stockists are: [broken link removed]

Gimme said:
I want to refresh my bathroom walls and instead of tiling them again I was thinking of using a PVC type boarding with tile design. I think it might be easier to fit and easier to replace again in a few years.

I saw it a few years ago but haven't seen it recently anyone know where it can be got? I tried B&Q, Home base and Atlantic Homecare.

Has anyone ever used it and is it any good?

We got Decoform panelling in Woodies, Carrickmines, for the kitchen instead of tiling but it is for showers and bathrooms as well. The only colours they had were white and black in a kind of faint marble design. It was hard to cut because the switches openings had to be cut so that it fitted behind them. We're delighted with it - it definitely isn't "naff" as the former student said in one of the posts. When we were showing the kitchen to a friend she made a beeline for the pannelling wanting to know what it was. I didn't see this stuff in Woodies in Sallynoggin but it might be there - just that I didn't see it. We came across it by accident - we didn't know about it.

Folks,

Thanks for all your replies so far. Joanmul and Johnnyg thanks for the names of the products.

I think it was grosfillex that I had in mind - has anyone ever used it around a bath? Does it scratch easily?

Back