Health Insurance Alternative to VHI One Plan for family of 5

Frederick1

Hi all,

Currently with VHI One Plan 250 for the 2 adults (both 42) and One Plan 150 for the 3 kids (all under 10). We're living in the south Dublin area and have no health issues, thankfully. The policy is up for renewal on the 22nd March and the renewal quote is €2535. We have had this policy a while so I know there's better value out there but we're really struggling to make heads or tails of different plans when comparing them on the hia website.

From snowyb's helpful posts I'm thinking that Laya's Essential 300 plan is best for the 3 kids.
We were looking at Laya's Advantage 500 Explore, or even their Precision 600 Connect for the adults. Or all 5 of us on the Essential 300?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Frederick1,

Child Option
Yes, Laya Essential Health 300 is a good value option for the 3 children, where you pay for the 1st child and the rest of the children are free.
1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 256(covers all children); all public, private and Beacon hospital covered; private hospital excess capped at
300 x 2 max per year for all private hospital admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

Adult Options;
1. Laya Signify plan; price 938pa; all public + private hospitals covered including some Beacon cover. private hospital excess capped at
250 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

NOTE: At least one adult has to be insured on any plan with Laya, so as to avail of the Laya's childrens special offer.

In order to make more savings, the VHI plan One Plan 500 is worth considering for one adult, details as follows;
2. VHI One Plan 500; price 780pa; all public + private hospitals covered, private excess capped at 500 x 2 max per year for all private hospital
admissions. Day case excess 150 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Regards, Snowyb

Putting one adult on the VHI One Plan 500 sounds like a good way of making some savings.

Thanks indeed Snowyb. I greatly appreciate you taking the time and going to the trouble of posting such a detailed response to my query.

Back