Alternative to Sky Broadband router

Green

I'm looking for an alternative to my Sky Broadband router as I want to add a VPN. Has anyone done this and what router did you use? Thanks

Can you, like you can with Virgin Media (having first contacted them to switch off DS-Lite and give your box an IPv4 address...), run the Sky box in modem only mode and then attach your own wifi router to provide wifi and whatever other services you want (e.g. VPN, ad-blocking etc.)?
I would imagine that you have to use the Sky modem at least as it's part of their infrastructure for providing customers with their service?

Edit: ah, maybe modem mode isn't possible with Sky?

If you have a router which supports PPPoE you should be able to use your own router directly, without the need to bother with Sky's equipment.
I've yet to try this with Sky but have done it with other providers successfully (FTTH)

EDIT: https://conor.engineer/2018/02/10/replace-the-eir-f2000-router/ (link) with a guide.

@nest egg very cool setup bro, im looking for something like this atm with my eir ftth . i was thinking on getting the exact same cloud key gen unify with some of those extender beacon HD but the router but then i came across some tplink ax73 which it looks reasonable price, question do you have static ip i presume ? i noticed you setup 2 vlans of which one is for remote access stuff, just asking if the setup would be same with the static ip or may be different on the router side of things.

@nest egg very cool setup bro, im looking for something like this atm with my eir ftth . i was thinking on getting the exact same cloud key gen unify with some of those extender beacon HD but the router but then i came across some tplink ax73 which it looks reasonable price, question do you have static ip i presume ? i noticed you setup 2 vlans of which one is for remote access stuff, just asking if the setup would be same with the static ip or may be different on the router side of things.
Alas I just came across that site, it's not mine :) That being said, I did use it for inspiration, and use my own equipment (nothing as elaborate). It makes swapping provider a breeze as there's no mucking about with a new router every time I switch.

Back