Alternative to Skirting Board

TripMeUp

Hey all...

Just wondering what alternatives to Skirting Board are out there for finishing out a new build….
My floor finishes will be a mixture of tiles and wooden floors.....

I will put Skirting Boards in some places I suppose but have seen some pictures where there is a wooden beading instead of a skirting board…looked nice but where would you get such a thing and is it expensive ???
Other ideas I had were if you could have some sort of tile type border….??

What do people think and what’s out there?

Thanks in advance for any help and inspiration….might get you an invite to a house warming !!!!

You can buy beading at B&Q, but whether it will protect the plasterwork from being knocked and damaged by the vacuum cleaner may be another story.

the primary function of skirting board is to protect the plaster from damage from normal wear and tear, knocks, from cleaning, kids, furniture etc

You could go for quite low ones, maybe 3 inches or so, or where the floor is tiled, have a tile instead

If you're looking for something nice and different i would use a tile wherever your floor is tiled but make sure you use a nice chrome corner bead on the tile so it finishes it off nicely on the top....
wherever you have a floor you could use normal 15mm mdf ripped down to whatever height you like, if you put a 10mm groove in the near the top for a profile and finish it with a gloss white paint it looks the part AND it's a much cheaper alternative.

It's basically whatever your own preferences are...

wherever you have a floor you could use normal 15mm mdf ripped down to whatever height you like, if you put a 10mm groove in the near the top for a profile and finish it with a gloss white paint it looks the part AND it's a much cheaper alternative.

make sure if you follow this suggestion, to seal the mdf properly especially on the facing edge and bottom. Otherwise after a certain amount of mopping the mdf will swell

There is a low-profile skirting system you can get from a brand called 'Meister'. I've see it in a shop in Galway, some time ago. It's a clip-on system too.

For tiles, I put a 1/3rd tile as skirting, with a bead on top.

One thing both solutions will highlight for you: how good your plastering is -or isn't !!

Back