VHI Alternative to plan B options

Jellymonster

Hi, I got great advice on this forum last year.... hoping to ask another question regarding my parents' insurance.

Couple in their mid 60s currently on Plan B options (Health plus Extra). It has great hospital cover which they do not wish to downgrade. They would also prefer to stay with VHI.

Are there any similar plans which offer equivalent hospital cover but are a bit less expensive?

Thanks in advance!

Jellymonster,

An alternative option with VHI is Healthplus Access(old plan B), same hospital cover as before, price 2045 per adult.

[broken link removed]

If they don't mind taking on a small excess, which means they would pay 75euro or 125euro if admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital for a stay,
there are 2 alternative VHI plans to consider as follows;
VHI Healthplus Excess plan; price 1799 per adult; same hospital cover as before, 75 euro excess to pay per admission or day case.
VHI Health Access; price 1645pa; same hospital cover as before, 125 euro excess to pay per admission or day case.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb. I was having a look to see if there are any plans available which would give similar hospital cover but also cover day to day expenses with a €1 excess. I was looking at PMI 42 15. In the event of them needing a hip/knee, they'd happily go to a hospital that waives the shortfall. So I'm thinking the only real thing they are losing is cover for TAVI. Does this seem correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks a million

Yes, you're totally correct. TAVI cover is the only loss of cover on PMI 42 15, plus the 80% hip/knee replacement surgery.
These differences have been highlighted and explained in numerous previous posts, which I'm sure you've come across already.

Regarding the day to day cover, if they are under 65 yrs, VHI impose a 1 year waiting time before these extra benefits can be used.
If they are age 65 yrs or older there is a 2 year waiting time applied to these extra day to day benefits.
You never lose cover while waiting, they would stay on Healthplus Extra day to day cover until the waiting is served.

Hospital cover is the same so no waiting applies.
There is an extra hospital benefit on PMI 42 15, in respect of cover for a private room in a private hospital - just 50 euro per night.
This extra is not on Healthplus Extra, so if they wanted to use this new cover, there would be a 2 year wait only for any pre-existing illnesses.
This extra cover would apply straight away for any new illnesses in the future.
This a minor detail in the overall scheme of things, a positive extra to be aware of in the future.

PMI 42 15 is a very good plan overall that ticks all the boxes, including no excess for hospital admissions or day case.
An alternative plan including a small excess 75 per admission or 50 per day case is PMI 41 15, price 1356pa.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks again snowyb, one last question.... what would be a similar Laya policy? They are very reluctant to change but it can't hurt to compare I guess.

A similar plan with Laya would be 'Simplicity' plan price 1087pa;

[broken link removed]

It may be a step too far to switch provider for them. Even switching plans within VHI is a big change for some older people.
They have plenty of options to choose from with VHI which should be reassuring in itself.

Snowyb

Back