Health Insurance Alternative to Laya Essential Health 300 for elderly parents?

kelbell

Hello,
My parents have received their renewal quotation from Laya and it's another increase. I'm using the HIA website but what it doesn't show me is which hospitals are covered. They would like to be covered up to a semi-private room in the Bons in Kerry, apart from that they have no other major requirements.
Any advice?

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm with VHI so not totally familiar with Laya but found this very handy option on the Laya website which appears to confirm that the Laya Essential Health 300 policy covers them for a semi-private room as it is a Private hospital. You just need to slot in Kerry under the county option. It would be best if you give Laya a call to confirm this.

There is some specific advice which might be of interest in this previous AAM thread regarding this policy and orthopaedic cover.

There are further AAM threads here where others have looked for alternatives also.

Thank you Sue Ellen, that's a very handy tool to find which hospitals are covered, thank you.

When you change policy - are you excluded from existing conditions, only if you increase your policy?
So if moving from Essential Health 300 to any of (for example) Laya Flex 375 Explore, Laya Flex 500 Explore or Laya Signify Plus - would they still have cover for their pre-existing conditions?

Both my elderly mother and mother-in-law are renewing with Laya this month and both are very worried about the wording used when they asked about changing plans. My understanding was that this would only take effect if you were jumping to a plan with higher coverage.

When you change policy - are you excluded from existing conditions, only if you increase your policy?
So if moving from Essential Health 300 to any of (for example) Laya Flex 375 Explore, Laya Flex 500 Explore or Laya Signify Plus - would they still have cover for their pre-existing conditions?

Both my elderly mother and mother-in-law are renewing with Laya this month and both are very worried about the wording used when they asked about changing plans. My understanding was that this would only take effect if you were jumping to a plan with higher coverage.
They would still have existing cover for existing conditions. Sometimes waiting periods for higher cover have to be served, sometimes these are waived by the provider. Perhaps start a new thread with the exact text that had them worried if you want more input / visibility on it.

You are 100% fully insured for existing conditions up to the level of the previous plan if you upgrade plan / change to similar plan or switch to a new provider (with similar plan).

If the new policy has additional benefits that would benefit the existing conditions, then there may be a waiting period for those additional benefits. - But current level of cover is absolutely assured.

Back