Irish Life Health Alternative to First & Future Focus 300

Noddy12

Renewal date has just past (01.12.16) but keen to explore any alternatives to First Focus 300 (husband aged 36 €963.40) and Future Focus 300 (me aged 35 €1067.90 and our 3 yr old €279). Total renewal for those plans is €192.53 per month, €2310 per year). My husband over the last few years has benefitted from insurance having received treatment in both Beacon & Sports Clinic for various issues and I expect this to be the case going forward. His most recent treatment was on the renewal date (how would this affect a switch?) Maternity cover is not overly important as went public with first child and would expect to do same again should another come along! Day to day expenses can add up over the course of a year. Have a cooling off period to explore options. Any advice on where to begin with alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Noddy12,

Welcome to AAM.
There are a few alternative options to consider, with similar cover and lower price or extra cover at a better price, as follows;
Whatever company you choose to go with, will pay the bill for treatment received on renewal date.

1. Select Plus; 854pa; similar cover as before, selected public, selected private and Beacon hospital cover, lower excess 150 per inpatient claim or day case. Full maternity cover. Limited day to day cover.

2. Select More; 950pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, inpatient private excess 150 per claim, 75 per day case visit, full maternity cover. Limited day to day cover.

3. Control 300 Create; 972pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient excess 300 per claim, 125 per day case visit, full maternity cover, good day to day cover with a 1 euro excess.

[broken link removed]

Alternative options for 3 year old - note only VHI allow children to be insured without an adult, an adult is just named on the policy but just the child is insured. So depending on the company you choose, could determine what options are open to your 3 year old; VHI is the best value at the moment for children;

1. VHI One Plan Family; price 152pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 125 per admission or day case. Limited day to day cover.
2. Select Plus; price 240pa; see details above.
3. Select More; price 260pa; see details above.
4. Control 300 Create; price 240pa; see details above.
5. Simplicity; price 256pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, inpatient max excess 100 x 2 per year, good day to day cover - first 100 not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for such a detailed response Snowyb. I initially decided to go with Laya and the control create 300 plan for the additional cover, however I hit a stumbling block due to the fact my husband received treatment on the renewal date. Laya informed me that they could only provide cover from the day I contacted them leaving us with a liability for the treatment received as the Irish Life plan would be cancelled from the day before treatment. Contacted Irish Life and opted for Select Plus which is deemed a higher level of cover than the plan we were on at a lower premium. So ultimately we have gained. I will probably opt for Laya next year provided the premium remains in and around that quoted above as I feel it is a more suitable plan. Running with Vhi for our daughter. Thanks again for your advice. It really helped in giving me some direction!!

Back