alternative to CCTV

smileyanna

I am wondering if anyone can advise me on an alternative to CCTV so that I can monitor what's happening outside my home ? I have looked at camcorders but they only run for two hours or so, just wondering if there is anything else? CCTV is very expensive so ideally something cheaper than that and preferably something that can be moved from window to window as needed. Thanks

possibly. Have you used it? I'm not very technical - is it easy use? Is it from Amazon or can I get it in a shop somewhere?

interesting, I should add I want this to be an inside camera that will be on the window sill looking out

Sounds like you want an IP Camera. Record/Stream video which you can view on your laptop or stream via an app on smartphone/tablet.
Something like a foscam or dropcam. The motion detection functionality might be what you want. Point it out the window, and have it take a picture when it detects movement and email you. This would be very active if pointing out on an active road mind you!

If you're using it inside a window, then make sure you do not get one with IR night vision. When the IR illuminators come on after dark, all you'll be able to see is a haze.

Kits like the Friedland one linked give very poor picture quality. If a camera system doesn't list the number of TV Lines (TVL), then steer clear, you know it's rubbish.

What do you want to monitor, and what do you hope to be able to do with the recorded footage? At what distance are the activities you want to monitor, and is there external lighting on at night?

HikaVision HD Pro.

One of the best cameras on the market for not alot of money.
Alot of alarm installers use them and recommend them for the domestic market.

If you're using it inside a window, then make sure you do not get one with IR night vision. When the IR illuminators come on after dark, all you'll be able to see is a haze.

Kits like the Friedland one linked give very poor picture quality. If a camera system doesn't list the number of TV Lines (TVL), then steer clear, you know it's rubbish.

What do you want to monitor, and what do you hope to be able to do with the recorded footage? At what distance are the activities you want to monitor, and is there external lighting on at night?

I want to be able to see just right outside my front windows ( not on a main road ), I want to confront and have proof when I confront the person concerned ( someone is doing minor but annoying and concerning damage to my home), there is external light as in estate lighting - not very bright.

If this is happening at night, then without some decent external lighting, it may be difficult to get a good enough image to identify the culprit.

You mentioned CCTV systems being very expensive. What is your budget?

well to be honest I was hoping only to spend 150 euro max and the cheaper the better.

Buy cheap pay twice.;)

If you want to catch criminal activity outside at night then you need a good quality external camera that has a good IR range.

You could also install an external PIR wall light or 2 on the front wall of the house.This will also act as a layer of defence and also shed light on the area in question.
Better still go for a stand alone external PIR from Robus or Steinel and then wire 2 outdoor IP56 bulkhead lights off the PIR.

I'm afraid you won't get much for that money.

If you want to catch criminal activity outside at night then you need a good quality external camera that has a good IR range.

IR camera would have to be installed externally though, won't work through the window as the OP is suggesting. But an external IR camera is really the only way you'll get any usable recording quality at night.

Back