Alternative to a gas boiler

Mamamia22

Hi all. I’m looking for any alternatives to a gas boiler. My house was built in 2006. My boiler is probably nearing the end of its life. I have two stoves which I use during the winter. I dislike turning on the gas because of worry about the bill. After seeing the house explosion in Berminham I’m also worried about it’s safety. It’s impossible to get a service done. All the companies say they will ring you back but don’t. Anyway I’m looking at alternatives. Any suggestions? I don’t have or want underfloor heating.

Didn't have much of a problem getting. A service done from Bordgais or SSE Airtricity, but that was in Dublin.
Where are you located?

As for costs: unless the fuel for you stove is free, you won't exactly save money.
Gas is very efficient.

I’m in Leinster. Have called several companies. All too busy and disinterested. I buy kiln dried timber. It heats the main sitting room / kitchen. Upstairs can be cold but I don’t like it too warm anyway. Just think the gas price will be too high this winter anyway. I don’t like underfloor heating. Any house I have been in that is underfloor heated is far too warm. I like a cosy sitting room but cooler rooms elsewhere. Heat pumps are off putting due to their reliance on electricity and cost. Would an oil based system be doable ? I know the cost has rocketed but at least if you buy a fill that’s it for a while ?

I am genuinely surprised that you can't get Bordgais or SSE to service your boiler, especially in Leinster.

There is no reason your boiler shouldn't be good for another few years.
Moving to oil means you need a new boiler and an oil tank of course. I wouldn't expect oil to be cheaper than gas. And I wouldn't expect your kiln dried wood to be cheaper than a 2006 central heating system. (You don't need to turn on the rada upstairs if you like it cool)
What's your source for hot water ?

If you want to get a new heating system (ie move away from gas) I would definitely look into heat pumps or similar.

My house was built 1991, boiler is same age, has only been serviced a handful of times in that time. Working fine still thankfully, I won't be looking to replace it unless it gives up. I don't think there is any reason to believe those 'explosions' are always related to the boiler, in fact the only local Irish one I know of was a gas hob, older version that did not have an automatic cut off so gas built up and was ignited by another source. Most seem to occur from piped gas issues too rather than bulk tank, I can't say it is something I have ever worried about in all these years.

My mother always got her new cars converted to gas back in the 70/80s, everyone was always commenting about it blowing up! Never caused a problem.

There a guy with a YouTube channel called "The EV Puzzle" who experimented with direct oil fired electric heaters in each room on smart plugs (can schedule / control with a phone app) and looking into Infrared panels. He has an oil fired central heating system. Worth a look. Title:

Electric vs oil heating - No central heating all winter. Results of my full winter test​

The house could blow up, it could burn down, you could be electrocuted with a wiring issue. Stuff happens and one issue elsewhere is not reason to run away from something

Book a service on here

Ok thanks for replies. I’ll try to book in a service. Might try to get another few years out of the boiler given that options are limited.

Anyone know if there are SEAI grants for replacing gas boilers, ours is a 2006 one in an apartment, SEAI doesn't make reference to them in their grant categories....

thanks....

Anyone know if there are SEAI grants for replacing gas boilers, ours is a 2006 one in an apartment, SEAI doesn't make reference to them in their grant categories....

thanks....
All current SEAI grants are detailed under this page, but there's lo longer a boiler upgrade grant, only one for heat pumps which are unlikely to be an option in an apartment.

A 2006 boiler should still be operating efficiently. Bord Gais will do a service for you for under 100 euro if there are no repairs needed.
Right now oil is more expensive than gas because it is less efficient, but I understand you would prefer to prepay than get surprises.

There should be an "economy" setting on your boiler that is warm enough without getting the house really hot.
The only real alternatives right now are pellet burning stoves or air-to-air or ground-to-air heat pumps. The latter requires significant amounts of external ground to install.

The only real alternatives right now are pellet burning stoves or air-to-air or ground-to-air heat pumps. The latter requires significant amounts of external ground to install.

Well not quite. I was looking at a getting a borehole for ground source heat pump a few years ago. Price was about 8K per hole, and Ideally I would have needed 2, but not much external ground needed.
However, if you combine with Solar PV and some battery storage you'll essentially have free heat and warm water - after spending quite a bit though I hasten to add.
It was too much investment for a retrofit on a renovation, but as soon as I build again (and 'from scratch' as they say), that'll be the way to go for me.

Well not quite. I was looking at a getting a borehole for ground source heat pump a few years ago. Price was about 8K per hole, and Ideally I would have needed 2, but not much external ground needed.
the OP is living in an apartment, so ground or air sourced won't be an option.

Back