VHI Alternative Therapies VHI

margaret1

Do any of the VHI Health Insurances cover Cranio Sacral Therapy or Reiki under the alternative therapies? I know Reflexology and Osteopathy are covered ok.

Check out the HIA website - it has some useful policy comparison info and tools.
Unfortunately many policies do offer cover for quack treatments meaning that we all foot the bill for it.

Slightly off topic I'm trying to get a better deal for my mother who has been on VHI Plan B (or the current equivalent) for years so is paying way over the odds for her cover.
It seems crazy to me that you can't get a policy for somebody like her that omits stuff that's irrelevant or not needed - e.g. maternity cover, quackery cover etc.
I guess it's all down to community rating and other regulation about "basic cover" or something like that?

Do any of the VHI Health Insurances cover Cranio Sacral Therapy or Reiki under the alternative therapies? I know Reflexology and Osteopathy are covered ok.

margaret1,

With such a specific treatment query, you would have to contact VHI direct regarding cover.
I have no experience of this type of cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Clubman,

There are a number of alternative options worth considering, without compromising on hospital cover, details as follows;

1. VHI Health Access; price 1687pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or day case
procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Full cover for hip and knee replacement surgery in all private or hi-tech hospitals.
Day to day cover included, the first 100 not allowed.

2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year for
all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro
excess, refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants, physio, etc. Note; there is 80% cover for hip and knee replacement surgery in private or
hi-tech hospitals on this plan so a shortfall would arise of 3000 euro approx - this shortfall can be avoided if she has this type of surgery in
Blackrock Clinic Dublin. This hospital does not pass the shortfall on to the patient.

3. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1231pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered), and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech
excess capped at 100 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultant visits, gp, dental, physio etc - the first 100 not allowed. There is 100% cover for
hip and knee replacement surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital, no excess, no shortfall.

4. Laya Connect Simplicity; price 1329pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered), and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech
excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 100 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.
Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for consultant visits, physio, dental etc. Full cover 100% for hip and knee replacement
surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital, no excess, no shortfall.

5. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year
for all admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess,
50% refund for consultant visits, physio, dental etc - subject to a max refund of 500 per year. (50% of 1000 = 500). Full cover 100% for hip
and knee replacement surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital, no excess, no shortfall.

[broken link removed]

With a renewal date of 1st April 2019, its unclear whether the above prices will stay the same until that date.
There's substantial savings to be achieved, without losing hospital cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Check out the HIA website - it has some useful policy comparison info and tools.
Unfortunately many policies do offer cover for quack treatments meaning that we all foot the bill for it.

Slightly off topic I'm trying to get a better deal for my mother who has been on VHI Plan B (or the current equivalent) for years so is paying way over the odds for her cover.
It seems crazy to me that you can't get a policy for somebody like her that omits stuff that's irrelevant or not needed - e.g. maternity cover, quackery cover etc.
I guess it's all down to community rating and other regulation about "basic cover" or something like that?
margaret1,

With such a specific treatment query, you would have to contact VHI direct regarding cover.
I have no experience of this type of cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb, Thanks Clubman,
Both recommendations taken on board.

Clubman,

There are a number of alternative options worth considering, without compromising on hospital cover, details as follows;
Hi @snowyb - thanks a million for the very informative and helpful post.
Apologies for the delay in replying but I only saw it now (AAM email notifications still don't get through to @hotmail.com addresses for some reason).
Thanks again - I need to have a good read of that info.

Just wanted to say thanks again to @snowyb for the advice/suggestions.
I have just moved my mother from VHI to Laya and saved her more than 50% on her annual premium as a result of this.
Thanks a lot!

Back