Alternative therapies -allowed under Med 1or 2?

Are alternative therapies with registered therapists, allowed against tax?

I'm curious. What do you mean by alternative therapies with registered therapists?

Anyway, these are allowed - but are not considered alternative therapies:

Nursing Homes
Nursing Homes must provide qualified nursing care on-site on a 24 hour per day basis.

Maternity Care
The cost of providing routine health care in respect of pregnancy is allowable.

In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)
IVF may be regarded as treatment in respect of infertility and relief may be allowed in respect of the cost of this treatment where the treatment is carried out by a qualifying practitioner
Educational Psychological Assessment for a dependent child.Must be carried out by an educational psychologist who has expertise in the education of students. Dependent child must
be under 18 years of age or if over 18 years, at the start of the tax year must be receiving full-time instruction at any university, school or other educational establishment.

Speech and Language Therapy for a dependent child
Must be carried out by a Speech and Language Therapist in respect of a dependent child as outlined above.

Consumable products
Relief can be claimed for the costs incurred on products manufactured specifically for coeliacs and diabetics where this expenditure is incurred on the advice of a qualifying medical practitioner.

Non-Routine Dental Expenses
You must hold a completed Form Med 2 (Dental), signed and certified by the dental practitioner when making a claim for non-routine dental expenses. A full list of qualifying treatments is listed on the reverse of the Form Med 2 (Dental) which is available from your Dental practitioner or from www.revenue.ie

Also Orthoptic treatment and physiotherapy are allowed if prescribed by a qualifying practitioner.

Last edited:
It appears to be a bit of a grey area. It's more clear cut where a GP has referred you.

I know I was able to claim chiropractor expenses after a car accident a number of years ago. I can't remember the exact details, but had checked it all out at the time.

This might be worth reading.

Thanks guys. I mean acupuncture and reflexology with therapists recognised by Laya Healthcare. Without going into it in detail, I was recommended to do something along these lines to help with an underlying health problem.

Back