Health Insurance Alternative plan options

laragh

Was looking for some guidance on potential options at renewal. I am currently with GloHealth
I spent last night on the HIA and sussed out some alternatives but hard enough to gauge benefits v cost of cover advantages

Currently 3 kids (3,5 and 7 ) on Nurture - all fairly healthy. Have day case cover here

Wife - on Net Most - might bump up the excess to €500 on this. She has no health problems. probably been asked multiple times here but does this high an excess mean that you essentially have little or no cover other than for very long stays or big medical emergencies? My thinking is that this is what I really want the health insurance for and am prepared to take the chance and pay as you go on the small incidents - is this wise?

Me - have a few health issues and attend a consultant a couple of times a year at €180 a pop - advised to switch to IL BeFitOne. Good out patient with no excess.

The whole lot comes to just north of €2.5k which is about €400 more than last year.

I was looking at some of the VHI PMI plans for myself but am not sure if it is worth jumping over and having to deal with 2 insurers.

Thanks

laragh,

Switching your wife to a plan with a 500 excess means that if she was admitted to a private hospital for surgery or a stay, she would have to
pay 500 on admission. Likewise, if she had 2+ admissions to a private hospital, she would pay 500 each time on admission.
There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

Wife;
As an alternative there is an option with Laya for your wife and the children to achieve savings. Details as follows;
1. Essential Health 300; price 873pa; public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Excess capped at 300 x 2 max per year on admission to a private hospital. Day case excess 125 per visit.

2. Control 300 Create; price 972; public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Excess 300 per private admission. Day case 125 per visit.
Good day to day cover on this plan, 1 euro excess. Extra cover for a private room in a private hospital.

[broken link removed]

Special offer for children with Laya;
1. Essential Connect Family; price 227 - just pay for 1 child and the rest of the children are free. Public, private and Beacon hospital covered.
Excess 300 x 1 per family per year for admission to a private hospital. Day case 300 x 1 per family in a private hospital.
To avail of this childrens offer, one adult has to be with Laya.
[broken link removed]

Total Family price;
Husband; Be Fit One; 1212
Wife; Essential Health 300; 873
Children; Essential Connect Family; 227
Total; 2312pa

You could switch to VHI PMI 43 16, price 1136, to make further savings.
The difference is a lower excess 150 compared to 250 if admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital.
Another difference is the day to day expenses, Be fit 1 would refund 270 based on 2 consultant visits 180 x 2.
VHI PMI 43 16 plan would refund 120 for the same 2 consultant visits.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Many, many thanks SnowyB - very comprehensive advice

I am going to largely follow your recommendations. Must just check out about Laya and their monthly DD policy

Back