Alloy wheel size choice?

gebbel

I bought a 2005 Audi A4 2.0TDi 140 BHP last week. The car has 17" alloys on it, but was originally fitted with 18". The seller, as part of the final selling price, threw in the original genuine set of 18" alloys. She said she "preferred the 17" so took off the 18". The reality is that she took them off because 2 of the alloys have dents in them, so I will have to repair at significant cost. Shame I did'nt inspect them better at the last minute, but I was happy enough with the final price.
When fixed up, would it make sense for any reason to have the 18" wheels fitted? Or would it make absolutely no difference? thanks

Re: Alloy wheel size choice??

The 17 inch will give a more comfortable ride as more tyre rubber is between the rim and ground, the 18inch will reduce this and will give a hard ride as every bump will be more pronounced if the 17's look ok i recommend stick with them.After all you cannot see them when you are driving.

Re: Alloy wheel size choice??

I'd stick with the 17" ones also especially for Irish roads

If you want to get them fixed I have used Phoenix tyres near Croke Park

Remember, the 18in will also be less effective in the wet, especially in an surface water situation.

Like the other said, stick with the 17in

I find 18's not the best on Irish roads, would go for the 17's. But if you have the 18's already they do generally tend to look much much better.
If it woould cost too much to repair them maybe try and if you find that you are going thru tyres then go back to the 17's?

Remember, the 18in will also be less effective in the wet, especially in an surface water situation.

Like the other said, stick with the 17in

Why would they be less efective in the wet? (In am not doubting you would just like more knowledge, thanks)

Large wheels ten to be worse in the wet as they tend to be geared more toward performance driving and try and have as much rubber as possible on the road. (Think tyres on sportscars)

Mud & Snow tyres tend to be smaller with chunky thread to cut through poor driving conditions. (think tyres on SUVs)

That's not true at all.

For snow, yes, for wet, no.

The tread pattern will work to channel the water away from the tyre and keep as much rubber as possible in contact with the road.

Check out the Eagle F1 tread.

You pay big money for 18" tyres and they do the job well.

17"s are probably the ideal compromise for size vs looks.

Tyres will be cheaper too.

Flog the 18"s and smile.

That's not true at all.

For snow, yes, for wet, no.

The tread pattern will work to channel the water away from the tyre and keep as much rubber as possible in contact with the road.

Check out the Eagle F1 tread.

You pay big money for 18" tyres and they do the job well.

17"s are probably the ideal compromise for size vs looks.

Tyres will be cheaper too.

Flog the 18"s and smile.

The aquaplaning I mentioned is in regard to the width of the tyre as well as the thread issue. A winder tyre will aquaplane more easily than a narrower tyre. Now this is not obviously a 'huge issue' as the difference in say a 195 tyre width to a 215 width etc but it beneficial to examine all the facts when making decisions? The state of the roads you will be driving on in your local area would have as much influence on your decision too.

Sometimes the visual aspect has to be toned in order to make the 'best choice'.....just my 2 cents really, but i do agree that the 18" will loks far nicer though

I'd stick with the 17" as well. Your heart will be broken getting the 18" ones fixed unless you drive on motorways all the time.
Flog the 18" ones.

How about the dragster look and put the undamaged 18's on the back and 17's on the front?? :D I'll get me coat....

Large wheels ten to be worse in the wet as they tend to be geared more toward performance driving... Mud & Snow tyres tend to be smaller

No idea how the gearing would affect wet weather performance, but the rolling diameter of both sets of wheels should be the same! The 18"s will just use lower profile tyres.

Bought 06 Audi A6 off brother in UK. They have 19" Audi alloys. Would like to get something smaller as roads I drive are mainly country roads and wheels not suitable as well as that tyres will be very expensive. How would I go about getting different size Audi alloys? How could I sell the ones I have? Any help appreciated.

Lots of websites sell after-market OEM styled alloys for audi. You could also go to a dealer and get raped on price. But eBay is a great place to sell alloys, the bigger sizes especially.

performancealloys dot com seem to have a good range and local fitting option etc [no affiliation to them]

In the end buying aftermarket alloys just comes down to price and where you can get the best value for money.

Back