Alloy Wheel Locknut Key

!RAY

Hi
Just bought a 05 BMW with alloy wheels. Each wheel has a lock nut. The lock nut key is missing have contacted the person I bought the car from and they have no idea were it is. I have contacted BMW and they said it would take 1-2 weeks to get a new key. Has anybody any ideas were I could get one quicker.
!RAY

Unlucky mate. Each locking nut by BMW is coded and unique, so it would be difficult just to pick one up.
Presumably you've checked the whole spare wheel area as there is usually a slot/pocket where they normally keep it.

Hi

Key is located in tool tray in boot lid. It is like the top of a nut and is usually on right hand side.

Had a similiar problem myself...brought her into FastFit (I was getting new Continentals (which are super btw)). They took off the lock nuts and then I bought a new set from Maxwell Motors. About 30 quid I think..

Hi
I searched the whole can a number of times .Have just rang BMW and they have a master set will sort it out for about 60 euro.Thanks for the help.
Cheers
!RAY

Hi
I searched the whole can a number of times .Have just rang BMW and they have a master set will sort it out for about 60 euro.Thanks for the help.
Cheers
!RAY
I presume you mean BMW will fit new lock nuts to your wheels and give you a new key and a spare

No Firefly I'd doubt it. We do this as well, that's the cost for the service of us buying the lock nut master set and removing your lock nuts.

You'll have to buy a new lock set or just new nuts but that's an extra cost.

I don't know how many exist for each make, but with the brands we have and brands I've worked with before there was anything from 6 to a box of 20 and you would up date them every year. Some of the brands have more that 70.

Some brands don't offer lock nut boxes and as such are unique because were not going to keep buying boxes of lock nut sets to hold onto a key for them. So while they do repeat the chances of some one getting the right one on the street and robbing your alloys are slim. It's like keys numbers.

When I worked with Ford, a man who owned a '99 transit and a '05 Ford mondeo had keys with the same number and he was able to open the doors on both (wife found out by accident when she opened the mondeo door but couldn't start the car as she had the transit key).

Also when I worked for Toyota, a man came in complaining that his neighbour was able to open his car door (when he locked his key inside) with his key. Turned out again somehow his neighbours '88 corolla was had the same key number as his '96 carina.

These codes are unique as far as they reckon you'll never meet a person who's got the same lock nut as you but there not unique.

60 quid to remove the lock nuts sounds expensive...ring the boys in FastFit in Donnybrook. Brand new set from Maxwells for 30 quid with 2 keys...

Firefly, the thing is without the lock nut you cant get the nut off!

Fastfit etc won't be able to get a genuine lock nut off unless they use hammer and chisel (poss damage alloy) or cut the alloy off with an angle grinder (that's not a pretty sight).

I'd rather pay €60 and not have my alloy butchered.

easy lock nuts to remove just hammer a t45 or t55 torx into the hole in the lock nut opens quick smart with no damage at all to alloys .we do a few of the a week on bmws

Back