Alllow kids to play with other kids ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristotle

Now with the schools closing I cant find much advice on whether to allow kids to play with other kids during the day? I live in a housing estate and its going to difficult to keep the kids in doors if there are 10 of their friends outside playing.

What are other parents here going to do ?

We live in the city without an easy space to let them out too. I think we will arrange a few play dates.

Every additional contact we can eliminate will help slow the spread.

The faster it spreads the sooner we run out of ventilators in hospital - and once that happens we will have to choose who we let die.

If you do, please keep the group the same, as few as possible, and don't overlap with other groups.

My friends Italian sister in law sent her a long text yesterday about how when they were sent home from school first they arranged play dates and visited shops and now they really wished they had not. I’m not going to arrange any meet ups after reading that long and heartfelt email of advice. Sobering.

Message from consultant respiratory paediatrician at cork university hospital . I hope you all stay safe during this difficult time . The children will get through this no problem . Paediatric hospitals are empty in Italy at present after 3 weeks of school closure as the usual viruses stopped circulating . Remember with corona children are vectors not victims . In most epidemics young children are the transmitters . Therefore for school closure to be effective it’s really important that the kids aren’t mixing with other kids while out of school . They will give it to each other silently pass it on to our loved ones. What we do now will contribute to how this develops in cork . Avoid situations that the children will interact . If the community respond to this it will shut it down more than anything we do in hospital . From my experiences in the hospital this last week I would say that corona virus is closer to all of us than we realise and the degrees of separation for all of us is getting narrower . I’m not that good at social media but if this could be shared as widely as possible with parents in cork it will help. This messsge needs to go viral to stop the virus .

As Ryan Tubridy put it, dust down the board games that haven't seen the light of day in years. Read books. Watch movies. But as per the guidance given, keep social interaction to a minimum. To me that means no play dates. That's not to say we should lock our doors btw. Personally I'm going to try and get outside as much as possible - with the children as well obviously!

Kids do not seem to be getting the virus, but they may be carriers. Scientists are looking into this.

Children will be the vectors, will not get particularly sick, and will pass this illness to more vulnerable members of society, who will get sick.

Please do not arrange play dates.

Best practice is to minimise social contact with other children.

Children will be the vectors, will not get particularly sick, and will pass this illness to more vulnerable members of society, who will get sick.

Please do not arrange play dates.

Best practice is to minimise social contact with other children.

That is not official advice at all. Why is AAM turning into twitter or other types social media? We are going to terrify our kids at this stage. Use common sense and follow the guidelines. Nowhere does it say two children can't play together.

That is not official advice at all. Why is AAM turning into twitter or other types social media? We are going to terrify our kids at this stage. Use common sense and follow the guidelines. Nowhere does it say two children can't play together.

For me "people should minimise social interaction where possible" covers this. As per Varadkar's speech yesterday (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hea...dcare-facilities-in-ireland-to-shut-1.4200977). Logically one of the main reasons to close all the creches/schools is so that kids don't come into contact with other kids right?

Closing schools with hundreds of kids is not the same as saying two kids who live next door to each other cant play together. People are still working. People are still using public transport. Shops. Restaurants. Pubs. List is endless. But we decide to stop kids as young as 4 playing together. Teach them about hygiene. Dont scare them into thinking social interaction with other children is wrong or dangerous.

Sunny, they closed the schools to stop children interacting and spreading the virus.
Children can have the virus and not have symptoms.
Please consider your fellow citizens.

Really. So the virus has been spread by schoolchildren has it? Show me the evidence of that? And when you have locked up your kids for two weeks while adults are free to do want, and the government say schools will be closed for another three weeks, are you going to keep them locked up again? How long exactly are you going to tell your kids that they cant go outside and play with their neighbour in the garden. How long are going to keep your kids cooped up inside exactly to avoid meeting one single child?

There is so much nonsense at the moment. We now apparently have a gp come on here telling me that my 6 year old cant see another child for two weeks because that is the advice been given. While I am free to go to work, use public transport, go to shops, go to pubs, eat out, go to airport, get a flight. Why because the virus is the children's fault?

If one of you can show me one bit of official advice saying kids have to be kept isolated, then I will change my mind. And minimising social contact is not isolating children. People seem to think this is only a two week thing and have panic bought for two weeks and locked up their kids. They seem to think it will he back to normal then. It wont be. There might come a time when we need to isolate ourselves totally but it is not now. And any medical professional or anyone else claiming that a young child playing with another child is endangering the citizens of this country should be ashamed. Groups of more than 100 have been banned. Not 2 kids kicking a football outside.

Have you listened to any experts today on the radio, such as the doctor on Tubs this morning? You think this place is like twitter but I think your own approach is illogical nor informed. Take a look at various official advices please, before having a pop.

So the doctor on the radio station said every child should be isolated? What was his name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back