All Irish websites unavailable ???

landlord

Strange tech question.

I am at home using the house virgin media Wi-Fi
For both my laptop connected by wifi and my PC connected by ethernet I cannot access any Irish websites, for example
Www.daft.ie
Or www.boards.ie
Basically anything ending in “.ie”
I get “Hmm we are having trouble finding that site”

I can access all . Com and .co.uk websites no problem.

Using my I phone connected to the house Wi-Fi I can connect to all websites without a problem.

any suggestions? Thanks

What happens when you run the command "ping www.daft.ie" from a command prompt?

I eventually found how to get to the command prompt and tried your suggestion.
The reply was
ping request could not find host www.daft.ie please check the name and try again.

Are you sure your phone is not using mobile data to connect?

100% certain. The phone is on the home wifi network.

very very strange.

ie DNS lookups are not working, but we don't know why.

Have you tried rebooting your router/wifi ap.

If that doesn't work try running this command:
ipconfig /flushdns

Thanks SPC

ie DNS lookups are not working, but we don't know why.

Have you tried rebooting your router/wifi ap.

If that doesn't work try running this command:
ipconfig /flushdns

I did try rebooting the Router and modem but with no success.
Incidentally our virgin media modem Router is in bypass mode and it is connected to a decent net gear router which we’ve had no problems with.

After running that latest command prompt I got the response “successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache”

still the same problem no connection to any website ending .ie

also I have tried chrome Firefox and Microsoft edge with no luck

I'd try going into the network settings on the affected devices and change the DNS from automatic to manual, setting DNS to 1.1.1.1 (leave the IP set to automatic DHCP). Then reboot.

also I have tried chrome Firefox and Microsoft edge with no luck
The problem seems to be that your system is unable to turn the human friendly address (www.daft.ie) to an computer friendly address e.g. 10.20.30.40. Changing to a different browser won't help. And the problem only seems to hairm for .ie sites. Michaelm's suggestion is worth a try.

Yeah, the other suggestions would fix any local/ transient dns corruption. It seems likely that some caching dns server has a bad record.

Potentially your phone might be using a different dns server to your computers which could explain the situation.

I'd agree at this stage with trying a known good dns server as per Michael's suggestion.

Everything started working again as normal Saturday afternoon. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back