Best Buy All in One Colour Laser Printer - Please suggest.

TestLink

I am looking for an All in One Colour Laser Printer for home use. Can you suggest few make and models which has low toner cost or that would support cheaper third party generic cartridges please? HP / RICOH / BROTHER / something else? Model?

Thanks...

You need to say what volume and type of printing you are expecting - home printing could be anything?

Have you rejected inkjet printers?

Well, according to Which magazine, the following are "Best Buy" colour laser printers for 2023. Prices shown are cheapest available in the UK.
I know no more!

HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw Stg £300​

Brother HL-L3230CDW Stg £220​

HP Color Laser 150nw Stg £ 180 ["This HP colour laser printer is among the most affordable we’ve tested. It can’t scan or copy, but it can print in colour. It’s great at black text, but it struggles with anything more complicated, so it’s not ideal if you’re buying a printer specifically for photos."]

I have a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fnw for a home office, it’s been fairly rock solid and it’s great to be able to print from phones etc. Cannot comment on the cost of toner compared to other printers, they all just seem expensive!

You need to say what volume and type of printing you are expecting - home printing could be anything?

Have you rejected inkjet printers?
I have an Epson Inkjet printer. But think it is time to move to laser. Very low volume of printing. Only personal stuff once in a while.

Very low volume of printing. Only personal stuff once in a while.
In that case, almost certainly it would be much more cost effective to just go to your local library or print shop and pay the when you need something printed. Think of all the ~10c pages you could print that way for the several hundred euros a laser printer would set you back.

Avoid inkjet like the plague - absolutely scald of a machine.

Q1. Are you 100% certain you need a colour printer?

And

Q2. What sort of volume are you likely to be putting through it?

Edit - see your second comment. Stay w b&w in that case. If you really, really need something in colour, its cheaper to use a retail outlet.

For good value / low volume laser b&w the Samsung range is good. Small footprint, fast enough for home use & no name laser toners are pretty cheap.

Ys, I would like to go for a colour laser printer. Volume wise I would only print around 50 prints per month as of now. But my son is going to college for third level and might require a good printer.

Would the laser toner cartridge power get solidify after a couple of months, if I dont use it regularly?

Do samsung has generic laser printer cartridges in Ireland? Havent seen much Samsung brand in Laser printing sector. RICOH / HP / BROTHER seems to rule the Irish market.

Your requirements sound modest, so far. Maybe consider this as an option https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Colour-Laser-Wireless-Printer/dp/B07R99FQ91?crid=17L4XT68G4X82&keywords=HP+Color+LaserJet+Pro+M255dw&qid=1690664454&sprefix=hp+color+laserjet+pro+m255dw%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-19

Your requirements sound modest, so far. Maybe consider this as an option https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Colour-Laser-Wireless-Printer/dp/B07R99FQ91?crid=17L4XT68G4X82&keywords=HP+Color+LaserJet+Pro+M255dw&qid=1690664454&sprefix=hp+color+laserjet+pro+m255dw%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-19 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Colour-Laser-Wireless-Printer/dp/B07R99FQ91?crid=17L4XT68G4X82&keywords=HP+Color+LaserJet+Pro+M255dw&qid=1690664454&sprefix=hp+color+laserjet+pro+m255dw,aps,104&sr=8-19)

Thanks.I would need an AIO Colour Laser printer - Print + Scan + Copy. Any value for money printer?

Sorry, missed that important bit, silly me.

I use a HP Inkjet
I got tired of ink-jets. I bought a 2nd hand HP LaserJet Professional P 1102w including 3 genuine HP toner cartridges, 2 years ago for €65. I'm still on the first cartridge!

Mr Mct1 is on his second Kyocera b&w laser printer/copier/scanner, swears by them. It's used a lot, takes generics as well. His is b&w but their colour range looks reasonable too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-LaserJet-M283fdw-Multi-Function-Commercial/dp/B081FGS43DHP Colour LaserJet Pro M283fdw Multi-Function Printer (3 Years HP Commercial Warranty), White- €379.78

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexmark-MC3224dwe-Colour-Duplex-Printer/dp/B07SNG4KLDLexmark MC3224dwe Colour All-In-One Printer with Laser Print, Copy, Scan Touch Screen, Wireless, Mobile-Friendly & Cloud Connection, 3 Year Guarantee (2-Series) - 348

Any other make and models I shoud go for? Any leads welcome. Thanks...

Last edited:
I bought a secondhand UTAX black and white printer last year, off CopyMoore.
I was a very occasional colour inkjet user before that . And everytime I wanted to print something the inkjets wouldn't work.
The utax is a savage machine.
When I can afford it I might buy a secondhand colour one.

I have a brother laser black and white printer the research was based on college kids who were printing a good bit at the time. Although they wanted me to get a colour one college was 16c for an A4 page and that was where they did any colour printing they needed. Dublin City library is extortionist for colour printing 60c for a single A4 page! There were definitely better options but it required planning something students are not known for. A replacement cartridge for 3000 pages is 70 pounds on amazon. The only way I evaluate a printer is the cost of replacing the ink cartridge and then I want to know how many pages it prints. Laser suits our needs as it is only used occasionally now and does not dry out like alternatives when not used. Also I personally would want a photocopying option this is something we have used quite a bit and the kids have scanned stuff a good bit also. Finally adjusting to draft in terms of quality if it is sufficient also helps extend the ink lifespan.

The HP laser printers have the below note in the product description:
This printer is intended to work only with cartridges with original HP chips or circuitry and will block cartridges using non-HP chips or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of these measures.

Would I be able to go for generic cartridges with HP Colour Laser Printers or would it damage the printer?

Any other makes that would take in generic cartridges, once the company supplied original cartridges are empty - RICOH / BROTHER / LEXMARK / etc?

Would the laser toner cartridge power get solidify after a couple of months, if I dont use it regularly?
I’ve had mine a couple of years, not replaced the toner yet, all working well. Will not go back to ink again!

Would I be able to go for generic cartridges with HP Colour Laser Printers or would it damage the printer?
You’ll probably find you have to replace the cartridges so infrequently (compared to inkjets) that there’s less need to search for cheaper options.

Back