All data from External Drive is lost after formatting, what can I do?

adorado

I saved everything in the external drive of my pc before this guy, "who knew" how to format my pc safely, deleted every single thing when formatting. The external drive was plugged in for a while and then disconected.

Any chance there is a way of recovering the data? I know there isn't much I can do, but had to ask....I've lost EVERYTHING!

Thanks

Formatting will always delete all the files on a disk. Your ability to recover depends a bit on what type of format was done, where your files were on the disk and what has been written to the disk since. The more that's been written to the disk since the format, the more likely some/all of your data will be irretrievable. In any case you're unlikely to get all your data back.

See [broken link removed] for some tools if you want to try recovering yourself. Send me a PM if you need some professional assistance.

Depending on how valuable the data is & how much you're willing to spend, you may be best advised to leave the computer & external drive powered off until you talk with some professionals.

whether you get the data back or not, note for future, you'll pick up an external drive (250-300gb) for around the 100e mark.
If youve got important data, get 2.

I know of a company in town that recover data from HDDs, and I think they do it on a no-foal-no-fee basis. Think it costs a few hundred quid. Decent guys, cant remember the name but could find it out if you were interested.

There's no need to pay for it, "GetDataBack" works fine as long as you havn't moved more files onto the harddrive. If you have you may need the expertise of a company.

I think I would prefer to get the help of an expert for this. If anybody has had that problem before and was solved, please let me know where can I go. I don't mind paying for it....

Sn@kebite is on the right track above. Using one of the many commercial of free data recovery utilities you may be able to recover some or all of your data. You need to make sure that nothing further is written to the disk in the meantime though to reduce the risk of data getting clobbered. There are professional data recover services but as far as I know they can be costly.

If you are going down the route of DIY tools you've never used before, I'd try them out on another PC first, plus do plenty of web & forum research on how they work.

Somebody told me that this website is very good (not sure if there is an English version, this is in Spanish): , and the data must be there somewhere...

Anybody has experience with getdataback? Any tips?

Somebody told me that this website is very good (not sure if there is an English version, this is in Spanish): ,
click the english flag, top RH corner.

just read through that site. hmmmmm.
Ask them how much do they charge? do you send your device to them? do you install software? whats with the web based thingy?

I tried getdataback yesterday. It works. I can see all the files I lost, so they are still there! I will do it tomorrow and will let you know how did I get on. Fingers crossed!

The www.e-rol.es is free, and I know it also works. It got stuck yesterday, so I tried getdataback. It takes about 3 hours to go through all the data, and then list all the ones that were lost. You have to copy them ALWAYS ON A DIFFERENT DRIVE THAT THE ONE THEY WERE IN THE FIRST PLACE, and that's it.

Will let you know...

I tried getdataback yesterday. It works. I can see all the files I lost, so they are still there! I will do it tomorrow and will let you know how did I get on. Fingers crossed!

Will let you know...
OK i'm happy to see it works for you and it should get about 90%+ of your files back for ya.

Maybe after this is over you'll be more reluctant to trust ppl with your stuff...LoL:D

Good luck!!!

OK i'm happy to see it works for you and it should get about 90%+ of your files back for ya.

Maybe after this is over you'll be more reluctant to trust ppl with your stuff...LoL:D

Good luck!!!

I hope so...

I WONT LET ANYBODY TOUCH MY PC IN THE FUTURE! :mad:

Back