Alfa Romeo Spider

triona

Hi,

Any opinions on the Alfa Romeo Spider 2.0 TS Lusso? I'm going to look at a '99 one later with 34K miles. It's a gorgeous car but I'm concerned about the Alfa reliability issues.

Thanks, Triona

Beautiful car, but Alfa has a bad name for reliability. For specific info, have a look at [broken link removed] for starters.

Don't bother to give it any more than a quick inspection yourself. Get the finance check done and then organise for the current owner to bring it to Gerry Campbell at T.I Autos in stoneybatter for a mechanical inspection.
Do not buy without mechanical inspection and don't get the inspection done by a dealer or mechanic who isn't familiar with the brand.
After everything has checked out negotiate hard and set aside a wad of cash to cover the high maintenance costs of this car.
Note that the suspension is just as troublesome as the engine and electrics on this car.

Be prepared to walk away at any stage during this process. Fairly big bills are on the near horizon once this car hits 50K miles and if it's clocked the work is already due.

Yes, would recommend giving Gerry Campbell/T.I. Autos a shout to suss out potential issues and likely ongoing maintenance costs.

Don't know if it is a big an issue for the Spider as it is for the 147, but the timing belt may need to be changed, or should have been changed at this stage.

34k miles sounds very low for 1999 car.

I would also suggest logging onto www.alfaowner.com and look there. You will find plenty FAQ's & Buyer Guides on these cars.

For a car with 34k on the clock, it will be coming soon for a timing belt change which will set you back about €500-550 at Gerry Campbells

Back