Alert: Some Virgin 360 boxes do not allow you to record

Dinarius

Brendan,

Just to be clear, when you say you have the 360 box, is that a streaming box (about the size of a packet of cigarettes, and it takes its signal by WiFi from your router), or is it a regular box connected directly to the router by cable?

Thanks.

D.

Another thing…

BBC4, which was only available on Virgin TV in standard definition, disappeared yesterday. A note on the screen says it’s not longer available in SD.

And, apparently, you can’t record the other BBC channels via Virgin TV. (I can’t record at all, so I can’t confirm this.)

A Virgin TV mega thread might be useful here on Askaboutmoney. The devil is certainly in the detail with them. In my long time with Sky TV before I switched two weeks ago, you got exactly what you’d expect to get.

D.

If you have a 360 box (main or first box would have a hard drive) then you can record every channel. If you have a apollo mini box (streaming box) I understand you get 500 hours recording in the cloud but some channels and programs you simply cannot record.

I hope they sort out the BBC4 issue which is a U.K. related SD issue.

BBC4 was one of my go-to channels. I don’t watch news/reality/quiz TV. Just arts, docs and sport.

Hope they sort it.

I’m going to contact them again about charging me for a basic service - recording - that I don’t have. The last time I spoke to them they said they were working on it and would back date and compensate me when it’s fixed. It should be the other way round, of course.

My overall impression of Virgin TV so far is of a product with lots of teething problems, something I never experienced with Sky. (With Sky I had a box and satellite dish, not streaming - so, well established and well tested technology) And the client is the laboratory Guinea pig.

D.

You are giving me a fright here.

I still have BBC 4 as it's also the one I most commonly watch.

Are you saying that they are thinking of discontinuing it?

Brendan

You don't have the Apollo 360 streaming box, correct? You have the regular 360 box with built-in HD for recording and you're already receiving BBC4 on HD with it, I imagine. In which case, you have no issues, as far as I know.

The message which appears on my screen says that BBC4 is no longer available to equipment only capable of receiving it in SD. I would hope that Virgin change this setting to allow it to be received in HD on my Apollo 360 streaming box. (Many channels are already HD with this box. E.g. Sky Sports and RTE)

Like I say, the Apollo 360 is a work in progress and the likes of me are paying to be guinea pigs.

D.

Big fan here also for BBC4 and no I have heard nothing about it being discontinued. In fact I hope they can change it from SD to HD. Sorry for causing any alarm.

Dinarius - Yes I have the 360 box with a hard drive. I hope they can get an alternative feed for you for BBC4 and put it back on.

The good news is that BBC4 is back.

The bad news is that when I press the record button, I still get the CS6031 error. But now, instead of saying it cannot locate my HD, the message says, “If you don’t have a Main TV 360 box with a HD, certain features such as recording are not available. Please contact 1908 so we can help you get the most out of your experience.” So, is the line they gave me that they were “working on it” BS? It kinda looks that way. Is there going to be cloud storage, and therefore recording, with this box? Doesn’t look like it.

D.

You should have 500 hours cloud recording with a Virgin streaming box if it is your main box. I have heard some peoples are not working. I hope you get sorted Dinarius.

The good news is that BBC4 is back.

The bad news is that when I press the record button, I still get the CS6031 error. But now, instead of saying it cannot locate my HD, the message says, “If you don’t have a Main TV 360 box with a HD, certain features such as recording are not available. Please contact 1908 so we can help you get the most out of your experience.” So, is the line they gave me that they were “working on it” BS? It kinda looks that way. Is there going to be cloud storage, and therefore recording, with this box? Doesn’t look like it.

D.
I I have the same problem, just got signed on for VM 360 package & discovered I can’t record any RTE or BBC programmes. Really annoying as I had recording facility with old package using Horizon box. I’m still in the 14 days cooling off period so wondering what my options are.

We've decided to live with not having recording. Most of our TV is Netflix. If I had recording, I would use it to record Sky Sports (especially golf) and then scroll through the innumerable ad breaks. It's great for that.

I've been onto them about it a few times and I get stonewalled. They have no idea when it will be fixed and they won't offer a reduction for not supplying it now. They say they will backdate a reduction for the loss of the feature, once it's fixed. But, that could be €10 and one is in no position to bargain then.

Since they are in breach of contract - recording is offered as a feature of the TV package, and it's a fundamental feature at that - I don't think they can hold you to a 14 day cooling off period. They offered to cut my TV and put me back to just phone and BB on one of my calls which was beyond the 14 day exit period.

D.

Back