Aldi, Lidl, Prices & Consumer Boycott Day

Stand Firm

No, I'll not be swayed by Saxon agents. There must be blood on the streets first, ( or at least Heinz ketchup). Consumers must die before there's revolution, ( or at least stop using Undertakers).

So I'll stay on course, but I'll keep you informed periodically. And no I'm not Kilcoyne, an armchair revolutionary. Must go now before I spend more money on Eircom.

Re: December 2nd

Interestingly I got the following in a mail this morning. I presume it'll get around.

On December the 2nd this year there will a boycott by the consumers of Ireland in protest to the excessive and unjust prices that are being charged to the Irish consumer. A similar protest was organised in Greece this year 3rd September where consumers avoided all shops, pubs and restaurants etc. in protest to the prices that were being charged. The European commissioner for consumer affairs (an Irish man David Byrne) and the Irish Government have both being entirely passive with this issue when a lot feel something could of been done. Since the Euro change over Ireland leap frogged above France and Germany to become the second most expensive country in the euro zone after Finland. This contention is supported by several leading companies and organisations including Forfas and Price Waterhouse Coopers. Please advise those you know to support the boycott. The boycott is set to last for one day as in Greece.

Re: price of a 4 pack

What about the VAT-reversal thing. Remember the shift from 21% to 20%. I didn't see anyone reducing their prices. But when it went from 20% to 21%, our sweet machine nearly ran out of digit space on the display!

Just wondering

Prices in Ireland are high, there is no doubt about that.
Prices of everyday items have gone sky high.

Is it possible for prices to come down if for some reason the consumer suddenly has to tighten their belt? Has this ever happened in any other developed economy?

Cartels

Ireland is riven with cartels and anti-competitive practices. Most markets are affected I believe. It's only a matter of time before the first anti-competition scandel breaks, and we wake up.

Cartels

Cartels - certainly, disquiet - increasing, leaders - unfortunately none.

What's top of your list?

Mine:

The insurance industry - may I also add the Central Bank and Dep of ENTEMP who unwittingly? are actively preventing and restricting competition.

Health Care (including the scandelous cartel of GP charges).

Supermarkets - trade and supply and exclusion (by dominance).

Fuel Prices.

Travel - eg Irish Ferries and Stena.

Cartels

Most of the basic goods and services we consume are riven with cartels and restrictive pracitices. Insurance, Banking, Pubs, legal services, etc on the service side. Remember Pharmacies and Taxi's were only recently taken off. On basics I think that the meat industry is rotten to the core, so too milk, so too cement.

Any industry with a strong representative association that has heavy weight access to power is almost certainly a cover for a cartel. The Competition Authority should look into these organisations eg the IIF, IBF to get the evidence. I'm convinced more and more as time goes on that one of the principle reasons we've got such high inflation is due to the existence of cartels. And this isn't just speculation.

Cartels

What protection can the Competition Authority give to an individual or group that have the information that is required to bring the cartels to their knees? Could they protect their livelihoods if push came to shove?

Who is creaming whom

well in the great debate about prices in Ireland. As a small manufacturer of craft goods, here is my contribution. When we started selling (91) retailers where multiplying the wholesale price by 2.3 then adding VAT. This is the standard almost anywhere in the world. In recent years we have seen our goods being replace by chinese imports but the retail price has remained unchanged. Some retailer are now using a 4.5 multiplier. That is pure greed as manufacturerer we have not changed much our price ie we have been able to work around price pressure.
They get away because the country is not price sensitive. Do not buy!.
Here is my tip for large purchase eg household sofa & the like, go to the continent, do your shopping and get the goods deliveredby a removal company. Works out cheaper than retail in Dublin

competition

I look forward to the day when Lidl or Aldi will have a branch in every town in Ireland.
I am confident prices will fall as a result,
Liamog

Re: competition

That day is fast approaching. Lidl are opening 90 (I think) stores in Ireland. (Tesco only have 80)

I went to Tralee branch of Lidl over the weekend. I though it was great! Booze I found to be a particular bargain. Can't wait for the one on Belgard road to open.

Here`s to Lidl and Aldi

Yep! Big Lidl fan here too! Delighted to read about all the new stores Aldi are planning for too. I read recently(Irish Times Mag three Saturdays ago) that the main supermarkets(Tesco etc) have a 25-30% profit margin where Lidl/Aldi have a 5% one. Hence more bargains for us and more comptetion for the other supermarkets. Also read that Tesco have five different price brandings for their stores depending on their location-ie cheaper goods available in stores near Aldi/Lidl. So if you do have a local branch of the German stores your local Tesco will also have better prices. Lidl takes a bit of getting used to. But it`s incredible to be able to fill your trolley to overflowing for 100E.I do this once a month shopping for the basics and top up in Tesco. I avoid supermarkets after that except for a quick basket shop or two and buy fruit/veg and meat in market/butchers once a week.No more time and money consuming treks to the overpriced conveniece stores then.

!

Also read that Tesco have five different price brandings for their stores depending on their location-ie cheaper goods available in stores near Aldi/Lidl.

This is untrue (In Ireland, anyway). Where did you read this?

The Germans are comming!!!!

The missus & myself started shopping frequently in Lidl's for the last 3-4 months now - absolutely thebest thing since the sliced pan.

Not sure though if its just me but has anyone noticed how busier they seem to be getting week on week........the sooner they have one of their outlets in every district the better.......

Re: The Germans are comming!!!!

are Lidl and Aldi cheaper because of poorer quality?
can you buy the same brand goods as in the other supermarkets?

Having tried a fair few products now.....we like some,others we don't. I would think it a matter of taste as opposed to quality. Some are no diff that what You get in the main retailers.

If we thought that the food was poor quality then we wouldn't use them - (not going to compromise our health by any manner or means!)..

.....like to hear other opinions on this all the same.....

Have you read the previous discussion re quality etc in Aldi/Lidl on the earlier pages of this thread?

Sure did Tommy.

BTW, didn't like Lidl brutal beans or bread - put it down to taste as opposed to quality though.

Fruit, milk, household, frozen foods, cereals, veggies, bikkies & so forth are fine. Some of the weekly specials are great value also......

Where can one find out where either Aldi or Lidl are planning to open up & when....

are Lidl and Aldi cheaper because of poorer quality?

Not in my experience. I've never had any problems with any of their products. As ninsaga says though some things are a matter of individual preference/taste. For example I personally really like Aldi bread, particularly their white thick sliced "toasting style" pans! ;)

A couple of weeks ago Lidl were selling a white slicepan at 42c and 2L milk at €1.15. I notice that Dunnes have dropped the price of their own brand bread and milk to 41c and €1.14 respectively so Aldi and Lidl are having some effect on the big supermarkets here.

Back