Alarm - what are my options

OhPinchy

Renovating my house at the moment and the time has come to choose an alarm system, and the other alarm threads don’t quite answer my questions.

My mate has done a course in alarm fitting and fits them as nixers and will be fitting it for free. The girlfriend’s brother was the electrician and wired up as told by my mate – wires for contacts on all windows and external doors and two PIRs (passive infra-red) in strategic positions.

Thing is, my mate seems to just install bog standard alarm systems and doesn’t know much about the other options out there and I want to know what my options are: he mentioned getting some shock detecting contacts on the windows downstairs – can anyone recommend these and would it be worth using these upstairs aswell?

I have another electrician friend (original electrician is now abroad) who gets very good discounts at the electrical wholesaler and will get me the gear if I tell him exactly what I want (again he is not well up on alarms).

So I’d really appreciate it if someone could tell me what options there are in terms of the actual control unit etc. Are diallers anymore difficult to install than normal systems and are the much more expensive? We don’t plan on having a landline so a GSM dialler would be best, but if this is too expensive we would consider a landline dialler for sell-on potential down the road.

Hope I’ve made this all clear and thanks for any help,

I'd go for an Astec alarm, designed and made in Ireland. The system features full tamper protection, digital voice dialler (no great difficulty in installing) and a choice of different options for sensors, light relay, smoke alarm integration etc. They don't need as much wiring as a more conventional system and I thought it was good value for money. I paid about €400 and got my brother (a sparks) to wire it, while I did all the builders work, (chasing, pulling cables, mounting alarm box, sensors etc). You can extend the system later if you wish.

Also say go with a astec system get a 63dv has a built in dialer
and is easy to install.Put contacts and sensor on the windows
downstairs(means you never go out and leave a window open)
and sensors on the upstairs.Dont forget to run a phobe cable to the
alram countrol box in the 1st fix

Back