Alarm key-pad battery

Marbil

A warning light has come on our alarm keypad saying 'battery low'. We took off the cover last night and we dont have a clue what the battery even looks like! Our problem is this - we bought the house secondhand and we cant contact the previous owner - there is no alarm company name on the box outside and nothing on the keypad either. Its an aritech alarm - we need to get an engineer out I guess but my sister reckons an alarm co wont come out unless they have supplied the alarm! Anybody have any ideas on what we should do? or even who we should ring? we live in Drogheda.

I'm no expert or spark. But in addition to the keypad you should have a rectangular box 12inc by 15inc - maybe in the hotpress or somewhere unobtrusive - your alarm wires will feed into this. The battery should be in it.

I'm not going to offer any other advice on how to change it, due to lack of skills and possible risks but I'm sure others will. BTW - it may be quite a large block old style battery. I can't resist - I wasn't trying to be alarmist:) .

Battery is probably not capable of taking a full charge any more. This will be a relatively large sealed lead acid battery which is stored in the main alarm panel. You'll have to remove the cover to determine the exact battery type but it's going to be something like 12V xAh. So just phone around to Maplin and a some other shops that sell alarms and ask them to price a replacement. Fitting it is simple, just make sure you get the +ve and -ve terminals the right way round.
Leo

Back