Alan Titmarsh- gardening

R

Red

On a BBC OR UTV channel, a few nights ago,Alan was being interviewed, and gave his five most favourite places in Britain. I expected the worst, and sure enough he mentioned four places in England, Scotland and Wales. His fifth selection was the Ring of Kerry. I thought that the interviewer would correct him , but no, she too was of the opinion that the Ring of Kerry was in Britain. Will they ever learn ?

Rgds
Red

Gardening

Worse fool you for listening to that eejit !

GB

it's great to have all you micks in the British Isles.

Gardening Programme

It was on Sunday morning and the presenter was Nicky Chapman of "Pop Idol"

I must say I too was surprised to hear the ring of kerry referred to as "Britain".

I suppose loads of people will be writing to the BBC and they will have to correct it next weekl

Alan Tit........

Terry Wogan had a right go at him over this on his radio ( wireless ) program what he puts out in the mornings.

Tog

Re: Alan Tit........

Just because we speak English, read British papers, watch British TV and support English or Scottish soccer clubs why would anyone think we are part of the UK?
A while ago Mary Harney was shown speaking on Sky news and the caption underneath read "Mary Harney, MLA".
If Alan Tit head thinks we'er part of the UK it just means he's like most(?) other crown subjects.

This really gets on my nerve - no not what Alan T stated, but the reaction that people give - in the 'how dare they associate us with being part of the UK' reactions....

Hasn't much of Ireland now adopted the UK way of life?....

- SKY Satellite everwhere
- the Premiership 'big friggin' games on every other night'
- the binge drinking & larger lout mentality

ninsaga

puce

Terry wig-on can be a bit of a turncoat once he's doing the eurovision.

Beware!

Essence of Irishness

As a Dubliner living (ambivalently!) in UK and on a regular basis exposed to this lazy merging in many minds of cultures which experience themselves as unique I wonder what posters think/feel is distinctively, essentially, "Irish"? I fall into this trap myself in having a sort of "mental picture" of New Zealanders and Australians as being "alike"/"the same" because they are all Antipodean.........but Kiwi's and Ozies are emphatic they are "different".

Hasn't much of Ireland now adopted the UK way of life?....

- SKY Satellite everwhere
- the Premiership 'big friggin' games on every other night'
- the binge drinking & larger lout mentality

We've also adopted somewhat of a US culture in many respects but I think most people would object if some American commentator suggested that we were another US state!

I'm not anti-British by any means and I'm not always as proud of our Irish heritage as I possibly should be...but calling the ring of Kerry British is just ridiculous. And watching English football on Sky does not make us English. I hate soccer for a start.
Don't forget...we're the ones with the drinking reputation. It's in every Hollywood Leprachaun film I ever saw!

main diff

What happens to all our Euros that get spent at the British high street shops? (B&Q, Dixons etc)

That's the main difference between Britain and Ireland.

Ring of Kerry

Technically, Kerry and it's Ring are in the British Isles - like it or not!

Besides, we are missing the point here - if Alan Tithead says Kerry is great well then all kerry people should be not unhappy. All publicity is good publicity.

Typical

If Alan Tit head thinks we'er part of the UK it just means he's like most(?) other crown subjects.

Good man purple !! Ever the Brit hater !

The sad thing is that this attitude is still very prevalent in Ireland. Just because some celebrity gardener gets his references mixed, some people will use this as a way to peddle their prejudice.

As a country we still have some way to go in terms of our national inferiority complex if we still engage in the old Brit bashing at every chance.

As the poster just above me says, we should be delighted that the Ring of Kerry is getting free advertising, even if its location is incorrectly identified.

Alan Titshmarsh

"Technically, Kerry and it's Ring are in the British Isles - like it or not!"

Technically, there should be no apostrophe in that sentence.

Good man purple !! Ever the Brit hater !
My good man, whatever are you talking about? My comments were intended to show how much in common we have with the UK and how insignificant we are in terms of their world focus. I don't subscribe to the simplistic "800 years of oppression" crap that is trotted out by many Irish people and consider the English to be about the best behaved colonial power Europe produced. The things that separate us culturally from Britain are the exception rather than the rule so with so much of our modern culture being British why should they notice that we are not "one of them"?

When have I ever made any anti British posts on AAM?
Upon what do you base your comments?

As a country we still have some way to go in terms of our national inferiority complex if we still engage in the old Brit bashing at every chance.
What Brit bashing did I engage in, pray tell?
I think Alan Titmarsh is annoying and don't think he is any good doing natural history - opinion.
Holders of British passports are British Crown subjects (not British citizens) - fact.

The Apostrophe

quote:"Technically, Kerry and it's Ring are in the British Isles - like it or not!"

quote:"Technically, there should be no apostrophe in that sentence."

Am I wrong in thinking the apostrophe should be as follows?

Technically, Kerry and its' Ring are in the British Isles - like it or not!

Technically?

Technically, Alan Titmarsh and his Ring are in the Britih Isles

Technically?

Most of the UK is now under concrete so technically the Ring of Kerry will soon be the local low-maintenance-watered-by-nature "theme park" for the very few British or Crown subjects remaining given the mass exodus from the UK to Place(s) In The Sun!

?

"Most of the UK is now under concrete"

- I thought it was supposed to be a "green & pleasant land". At least, that's how the lyrics go...

Am I wrong in thinking the apostrophe should be as follows?

Technically, Kerry and its' Ring are in the British Isles - like it or not!

Yes. There is no apostrophe after its.

Marion :hat

Back