Airtricity"Door to Door" marketing: very cheeky young "so and sos"!

I said to an Airtricity seller that I would have to think about it. He had no literature to give me to read either. Then he said "sure what's there to think about, it's a no-brainer".

I said to an Airtricity seller that I would have to think about it. He had no literature to give me to read either. Then he said "sure what's there to think about, it's a no-brainer".

Reminds me of travelling in Bali and we "won a prize", turns out it was a sales pitch for a time share (apparently a well known tactic but we were a bit green!!). Anyway this Kiwi chap, says in exasperation as we were stalling "What are you going to do, go back to the pool and talk about it?", I thought (cant recall what, if anything, I said) - Yeah, that sounds emminently sensible.

If only he'd known I'd put the Scots and the Cavan people to shame he could have saved himself a lot of bother!!

The sky people can be hilarious, they claim to match what you're currently paying, so tell them that you work for UPC and you get it all for free.

Love this - now I'm going to tell everybody that knocks at door or phones that I work for their competitor and pay nothing!

I just ask them why they would want to save me (a perfect stranger) some money. I've spent half my life saving so now I'm spending the other half spending that lovely dosh on anything I choose.

The Airtricity sales people call to my door, approx 3-4 times per year and usually in the early evenings, around meal time... as others here have described.

Despite me having left Airtricity and written to the company to convey my clear dissatisfaction with their extremely poor service, to include poor customer service and irregular billing etc they still continue to try and get me to sign up - it's borderline bullying on occassion and at least as annoying as when you get one of those bloomin' "chuggers" hastling you in town.

Clearly, Airtricity are training thier sales staff in this manner, which reflects badly on the company ... not that anything would suprise me with that shower.

I think I'll put a note up in the front of my house, indicating that people attempting to sell me services such as Airtricity that I do not want, will get a bucket of water thrown over them .... if I subsequently throw a bucket of water over them, could that be considered assault though ?

I have a big dog with big teeth but clearly if I set him on them, it will be troube so thats not an option ....

Any other good suggestions for getting rid of them once and for all ?

Let them know you've a shotgun out the back and that they should be gone before you come back to the front door??

I was traveling around the Dingle peninsula last week and spotted one of these guys going door to door out around Camp, where next door is often quite a walk. Spotted him again on Wednesday evening obviously suffering badly from blistered feet. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost!

TBH when you get about 5 phonecalls a day from guys who are [insert stereotypical foreign accent here] "ringing to you to speak to you about the online presence of your business" or "we have had a lot of customers calling us because they don't know what type of business you do" then the Airtriicity guys aren't all that bad

Two years ago Airtricity approached me. I was highly dubious. I thought initially that my electricity supply would depend in some way on these wind machine things and when they also offered gas my skepticism soared. But when I was finally convinced that nothing would actually change, that I was using the same grid, it did seem a no-brainer so I signed up.

Last year Electric Ireland's turn, still slightly skeptical (Electric Who?:)) but signed up when I became convinced again that nothing would change in respect of my supply.

Last month Airtricity again. Signed up without demur, real easy, just made those silly signatures on his hand held machine, and he already had all my bank details. The sales patter, not that he needed any this time, was "why not? sure you can dump us again this time next year."

The fact is that these deals are no-brainers. There is really no effort whatsoever in switching and you get a perpetual introductory discount - nothing at all changes physically with your supply.

I want to ask the broader macro-economic question. What possible added value is being brought to the country by this phoney competition in utility supply?

Back