Airport security delays

MonsieurBond

Does anyone know what is the position if you miss your flight due to the increased delays due to the security checks at Dublin airport?

I would suspect that it's tough sh1t to the consumer, even though it is not the consumer's fault that Aer Rianta doesn't have enough parallelism or capacity in its security checks.

I heard someone on the news report that AerLingus will accomodate passengers who miss their flight as a result of these delays on the next available flight without extra charge. It was also reported that Ryanair will also accomodate passengers in this way but WILL charge.

Does anyone know if these delays affect flights going to America? Dont US bound passengers have to go through a seperate entrance from the 2 departure entry points on their way to US Immigration? I'd appreciate any advice on this as I'll be making that trip in a couple of weeks?

These delays will affect all flights I would imagine.

It's best to give yourself extra time especially if travelling at peak departure times (During the week at least this is roughly for flights departing 0630-0730 .. then from 1000-1300 and then in the evening again from 1630-1830).

The security staff are being extra strict on the check that everyone must go through between the checkin area and the shopping "street" ... All passengers regardless of desination must pass through here. The extra US bound checks are US Immigration which is not affected by this security issue.

Oh for a 2nd terminal - at least there'd be a choice of queues to stand in... ;)

We have used the self check in system the last couple of times that we travelled. The queue for the normal check in was snaking around the corridor. It is simple to use and it means that you effectively skip the queue of the old fashioned check in. You can also choose your own seats. If there is a second queue at security it means that you only have to queue once.

EvilDoctorK said:
These delays will affect all flights I would imagine.

It's best to give yourself extra time especially if travelling at peak departure times (During the week at least this is roughly for flights departing 0630-0730 .. then from 1000-1300 and then in the evening again from 1630-1830).

Great - my flight is at 7am on Sunday, so I now have to arrive at the airport at 5am. Early morning start for me. I'll be just in the mood for a frustrating 1.5 hour delay walking around in circles in a queue. :mad:

Does anyone know if Shannon airport has stepped up its security procedures due to the changes at Dublin Airport? If there are delays, etc...

Actually Monsieur Bond ... 7am on a Sunday wont' be too bad ..... 7am is crazy busy Monday-Friday .. but at the weekend timetables tend to be a bit different and it won't be so bad at that hour.

But of course Aer Rianta / DAA might not have so many people rostered on for a Sunday etc.... so you can't account for that necessarily

No idea about shannon .. they weren't affected by this Audit .. but I would guess they've got pretty similar security procedures so might be getting stricter... The Staff to passenger ratio in Shannon is a lot higher than Dublin :) ... so it probably wont' be so bad anyway.

EvilDoctorK said:
Actually Monsieur Bond ... 7am on a Sunday wont' be too bad ..... 7am is crazy busy Monday-Friday .. but at the weekend timetables tend to be a bit different and it won't be so bad at that hour.

But of course Aer Rianta / DAA might not have so many people rostered on for a Sunday etc.... so you can't account for that necessarily

Good point - I'll ring Dublin Airport and ask them.

Remember that it was on Sunday that the extraordinary length of queuing time made it to news bulletins.

MargeSimpson said:
Does anyone know if Shannon airport has stepped up its security procedures due to the changes at Dublin Airport? If there are delays, etc...

I always found security procedures stronger at Shannon than Dublin anyway.
Don't recall it ever causing a boarding delay of more than a few seconds.

Bottom line though- wouldn't you rather be in departures 15 minutes early, than getting stressed out trying to get yourself on the next flight? Unless you're a smoker, it really doesn't hurt.

If you're delayed at security after checking in your luggage does that mean airlines are unloading passengers luggage before they take off and thats how passengers are missing their flights?

saw the news on tv on sunday and the q's were appaling.customers cant turn up too early as check in wont be open and then standing for ages in a queue. flew out of Belfast many many times during the height of the troubles in the north. often stopped by the ruc just short of the airport but despite very very strict searching ( going on holidays- childrens soft toys were taken off them and checked out before being returned to bemused child) body search and not just by buzzing machine either. yet no queues or hassle. there was however a charge on the ticket for 'security' Maybe dublin could charge €1 per passenger and hire extra staff , or is that too simple?

It would be indeed cuchulainn.Who would search the extra staff then ,the extra extra staff(smiley)?!And then they turn all around and the ones who are searched already will search the searchers....And then,but only then,they are all allowed to enter the security zone to search....the Knights of the coconut!
heinbloed

cuchulainn said:
Maybe dublin could charge €1 per passenger and hire extra staff , or is that too simple?

Why should they get away with charging extra, to do work they were supposed to be doing anyway?

I suspect there's an over-reaction to being caught out as slackers & things will gradually get back to near normal.

dont like the idea of extra for DAA as they charge extra for everything already. in Belfast in the 80's/90's passengers, besides putting the usual stuff into the tray and bags etc throught the scanner were 'patted' down front and back - lady security checked out ladies and men checked out men. arms up legs out etc but it only took a few seconds and toys were examined very closely - cuddly toys were sqeezed from top to bottom and all done with smile and a little chat to the child who was made to feel that their toy was special etc etc. and definitely no queues. i know belfast in the 80's / 90's does not even remotely resemble dublin today with numbers but they were very thorough and you weren't delayed. for what it's worth, Belfast is still a pleasure to fly out of but limited destinations , despite easyjet. MOL who is alway's having a dig at daa doesnt use it. wonder why?

Are terrorists so thick that they always allow undercover inspectors discover security weaknesses before they do?

Sumatra said:
After 9/11 were there such delays at DUB because of increased security?

Sumatra, it was a total mess, queues everywhere, Dublin airport totally unable to quote. (Not that Heathrow was much better...)

You would think they would open the check-in desks early, if there are delays forecast in security checking, wouldn't you?

I have a flight at 7am on Wednesday - normally I'd arrive at 5am to check in and go and have a nice unhealthy Irish breakfast. Should I arrive earlier than 5 or is it still ok this early?

Speaking of breakfasts, there must be a huge loss of business for those outlets now that presumably people are going straight to the queue to get through on time?

Hi Podgerodge - 5 is plenty early alright but I'd go through security straight after checkin and have your unhealthy breakfast airside rather then up on the mezzanine level. I think what used to be Bewley's in Pier B does the unhealthy breakfast !

Back