Aircon, windows fogging up

Clairio

Hey, as having discussed in previous posts, we were trying to decide whether or not to get an Audi A4 or VW Passat. well went for the Passat and v.happy with it. its very roomy and has lots of lovely extras like heated seats.And air-conditioning.
New problem- after about 20mins driving (with aircon on) the windscreen and side windows start fogging up. This is v.annoying as have to put the fan on fully (noisy) with a blast of cold air to the windscreen before it will go away. Even at this the side windows usually stay foggy. We usually have the setting around 20-23 C, not that high.
does anyone know why this is happening and is there anything we can do to stop it? there is no other method of heating in the car (except heated seats) so thats why we have the aircon on all the time, otherwise it would be quite cold. Thanks for any advice..

Re: aircon,windows fogging up

theres window wipes u an get from Halfords or motorfactors to prevent window getting foggy..haven't tried it yet..it should help

theres window wipes u an get from Halfords or motorfactors to prevent window getting foggy..haven't tried it yet..it should help
DIY with a little bit of surfactant (just about any domestic cleaning product) on a cloth which you then rub into the windows (having cleaned them on the inside). Works a treat to prevent windows fogging up.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. i'll try that, would something like Flash do? do you mean rub it onto the inside of the window or both sides? I thought there was something wrong with the air-con... C

Thanks for the words of wisdom. i'll try that, would something like Flash do? do you mean rub it onto the inside of the window or both sides? I thought there was something wrong with the air-con... C
Flash should be fine....just ensure there's only a very small amount of it (undiluted) on the cloth - spray is better than liquid to ensure that. Just the insides of the window and do remember to ensure you've washed and thoroughly dried them first.

Surprised you're having this problem given you have aircon so there may well be someting wrong with that.

Hope my remedy is effective...it's certainly cheaper than having your aircon pulled apart.

Do let us know how you get on.

Hi. Make sure climate is set to auto not econ. If the windows still fog up, there is a problem with the system and may need to be recharged.

Hi. Make sure climate is set to auto not econ. If the windows still fog up, there is a problem with the system and may need to be recharged.

Hi, yeah its set to Auto, we haven't used it on econ yet. maybe the filters do need to be cleaned or something. will try the Flash to start off with anyway. Its a Climatronic as far as I can remember.

The aircon should also dehumidify, is the AC definitley working. put the temp down to LO and Auto and make sure the air is freezing.

Have you tried the button top right to clear windows give a full blast until you hit it again.

I have the same passat with climatronic. Never have the problems you mention.

Is there any damp inside the car? Wet carpets, wet coat umbrella etc.

Maybe as the car heats up the liquid is kinda steaming up.

Other than that did you go to the uk?

How did it go?

Do ypu by any chance have the recirculation button on. If so you will definitely have fog up even with ac on.

Hi,

Windows will not fog up if aircon compressor working correctly. If it has not been used for some time the seals may have perished. Or may need re-charging. Only time windows fog up and on "Auto" would be if the temperature drops to 4 C or thereabouts. "Econ" button switches off the compressor.

If you put it on recirculation and it clears it is just the air filter thats clogged

The aircon should also dehumidify, is the AC definitley working. put the temp down to LO and Auto and make sure the air is freezing.

Have you tried the button top right to clear windows give a full blast until you hit it again.

I have the same passat with climatronic. Never have the problems you mention.

Is there any damp inside the car? Wet carpets, wet coat umbrella etc.

Maybe as the car heats up the liquid is kinda steaming up.

Other than that did you go to the uk?

How did it go?

Many thanks for all the advice. will try out all things that are mentioned. I think the fogging up is somewhat improving, so maybe it just was sitting for a while before we bought it..

Dont think the car is damp, it doesn't smell or feel damp. I think the other half took the pollen filter (?) out so maybe that has improved things.

We dont have the recirculation button on, what is the point of that button tho if it just causes windows to fog up?

Also last week as I drove to work (early) it was quite cold: -0.5C to 3C so maybe this cold wasn't helping the situation.

We put on the 'windscreen' button to give a full blast - the top right hand button on our aircon is the Auto button, this usually clears it up, but 20mins later is creeping up again.

Will also try the Flash this evening and see if this works.

Yes got the car in the UK the week before last. It all went fine, the guy selling it was actually a student! 21, he's making his pocket money buying and selling cars on.
Car was pretty much as described, and while he wouldn't budge an inch on the price stated, we still got a fairly good deal I think. he was actually going to give us the car with the petrol light on! and at a push he filled to the half-way mark... other than that he was v.nice and we found the drive from London to Holyhead fine, stayed in Bangor overnight and got Swiftferry back the next day. Would do it again no problem.

New pollen filter may help alright.

Only thing I am stuck on how did you pay?

Sterling draft for most then cash or am I missing an easier way?

Best of luck with the new car.

had to pay a small deposit to secure it, then yep sterling bank draft and about £200 cash.

Hi, yeah its set to Auto, we haven't used it on econ yet. maybe the filters do need to be cleaned or something. will try the Flash to start off with anyway. Its a Climatronic as far as I can remember.

As an aside to that if you use it on Auto all the time then effectively the air con is on permanently. No great problem there except that the fuel consumption will drop. Hence econ is a better option unless you need the air-con on.

I leave mine on Auto all the time, still get 600 miles plus per tank. Can't be too bad.

I leave mine on Auto all the time, still get 600 miles plus per tank. Can't be too bad.

The "experts" suggest that you could get 5-10% more if you used the air-con more sparingly. I regularly get up to 1200 kilometres on a tank on a mixture of city and long distance driving and rarely turn off the econ button.

Back