Airbnb, B&B or Long-term rental

Logo

Having looked at the 'Airbnb VAT' thread on the Tax forum I'm wondering if the advantages & tax efficiency for Airbnb out-weigh long-term tenants or B&B accommodation - although I'm still confused as to how Airbnb income is taxed. I realise that the work involved is more intense, furnished accommodation is required and that overall yearly expenses are probably higher (more akin to B&B arrangement). However Airbnb customers don't have automatic rights to be housed after six months when they refuse to pay for the service. Plus it probably eliminates the need to register with the RTB and be governed by associated rules and regulations. Airbnb service-providers aren't tarred with the same brush as current landlords - which probably dates back to the demon Famine eviction landlords - because they are not providing a service which the government should provide and has failed to do. For a retired person with direct family willing to take on most of the work - which is more tax efficient - Airbnb, a long-term rental or a bed & breakfast business?

Last edited:
Which is more tax efficient, is not a good question.

If you make no money you will pay no tax. In general the more money you make the more tax you pay.

Airbnb is a bed and breakfast business, Airbnb is just a platform to advertise your business on.

Which business will make more profit depends primarily on location. If you are in a suitable area a B&B is likely to be more successful, if you are in a really great spot, or have great marketing skills, why use Airbnb, they charge a fortune to promote your property. However they do provide an excellent service, so for most people running a B&B they are a great idea. There are a number of competitor services to Airbnb
  • FlipKey. ...
  • HomeAway. ...
  • Tripping...
  • VRBO. ...
  • HouseTrip. ...
  • VayStays. ...
  • VacayHero. ...
  • Roomorama.
In my opinion Airbnb service providers are likely to become even more unpopular than traditional landlords. They are taking accommodation away from the rental market.

Back