Airbag sign off WV Passatt??

changes

Hi,

I bought a VW passat recently and when i turn the ignition key the airbag sign lights up saying 'airbag off'.

Does anyone know if this means i do not have airbags or is there a way to switch them on?

Thanks

More likely one airbag is faulty or possibly the transducer that reports its condition is faulty. The effect is the same: if you are in a collision, the airbags won't deploy.

First step: a mechanic with the right equipment can extinguish the signal. There is a chance that a rogue reading caused it, and everything will be okay. Second step: pay the mechanic to do some real work!

Hi padraig,

The car was hit on the side before i got it, would it be possible that the airbags are removed and the system is switched off.

Or would a major airbag fault like that show up on the dashboard as a warning

Sorry: I'm at the limit of my knowledge, which I acquired because my warning light came on and I consulted my mechanic.

Yours seems a plausible speculation. In-car warning systems do not have a wide range of reporting options. I'd ask a mechanic familiar with VW cars to have a look at it.

You will find you have a passanger air bag which most likley has been de-activated so as to allow a child seat be placed in the front passanger seat.

Back