Airbag Control Units

IrishGunner

Own a VW 02 Polo bought 2 half years ago

The Airbag light on the dash came up

Mechanic told me that only VW dealer can fix it

Just got the quote today €430 including fitting!!!

The Airbag Control Unit is gone

Is this normal for VW and are airbags that expensive

No wonder scobies rob them from cars

Own a VW 02 Polo bought 2 half years ago

The Airbag light on the dash came up

Mechanic told me that only VW dealer can fix it

Just got the quote today €430 including fitting!!!

The Airbag Control Unit is gone

Is this normal for VW and are airbags that expensive

No wonder scobies rob them from cars

hi mate

can you believe i also have a 02 polo, 430 is a rip off definitly..having being rippped off by the VW dealer a few times i found these guys
http://www.otto.ie
they may have the parts u wanted at a much cheaper price.
let me know how u get on..

I would fork out for the VW part on this one. If you get a part off a parts dealer that isn't genuine VW, then you are taking a risk. 'Uniparts' as they are known are fine for stuff like belts, filters, general mechanical stuff , but when it comes to safety i.e., airbags, I would recommend getting the genuine part as safety has to be a priority.
And yes, a friend of mine had his airbags popped two years ago in a minor accident and it cost hime nearly €2000 to repack them.

What suggest that non OEM parts isn't safe? from experience?

IrishGunner, any chance the problem is from the instrument cluster?
did they pin point what exactly the problem was?

I am not questioning the sfatey of OEM parts but if it was me I would go with the genuine part.

Take your car to a VW garage and have them check it out. They should be able to connect up to the computer and pinpoint the problem.

Yeah bit of a rip of but dont have much choice

VW dealer did hook up laptop and said it was a circuit in the control unit and
they have to replace it all

Thing with airbags is mechanic wont touch them have to go to dealer

Tried the guys otto and they said the same thing

I know safety is the best option as you never know

Bloody airbags

that sounds like the instrument cluster to me..i had the same problem with my car..my airbag light is on..but the real problem i snot the airbag..its a faulty instrument cluster that cause it

that sounds like the instrument cluster to me..i had the same problem with my car..my airbag light is on..but the real problem is not the airbag..its a faulty instrument cluster that cause it

So how much was it to fix this Faulty instrument cluster ? The airbag light came on but only quoting what they said to me

Time to ring them up damn they are closed for lunch

Will ring and post

So how much was it to fix this Faulty instrument cluster ? The airbag light came on but only quoting what they said to me

Time to ring them up damn they are closed for lunch

Will ring and post

yeah, having talked to the mechanic in VW they told me to replace it, but the speedo/ rev meter working fine) so i am not really convinced if putting in a new instrument cluster can really solve the problem...so i asked many people here on AAM but after days still got no response,
eventually week after someone told me in Rathcoole theres a c/o fix faulty /electrcial fault in car. and that they seen similar case in VW/Audi car before and quote me 230 to get it fix.

i would be much happier to get spiecliast who know wats happening to get it fixed for me
Logic automotive is the name
http://www.logicautomotive.ie

So the guy in Rathcoole fixed it for you at a cheaper price
but is it as save ?

Got his mail telephone number ?

i haven't got it fixed yet...in this case i am pretty sure its an electrical fault on it...i will let u know once i got it done.

i don't think money is the main issue here..if they can even tell me the exact problem is , how i cna let them fix it for me?

did those guy in VW give u a invoice/report of the error code? if u tell those guy in logic automotive they maybe able to tell u wat exactly the problem was.

at the end of the day the decision is yours, if u know wat i mean..i think i have lost the trust in main dealers...
heard too much bad experience people have with main garage..

theres also a forum about VW cars http://www.vagdrivers.net

the phone number should be on their web site.
let me know how u get on..good luck mate

On V.W.'s, Air bag's, control units, pre-tens, they all go from time to time. I've seen polo9n on this web site a lot and fair enough in your case it prob is the cluster but you have been saying your going to get it done for a good long while now, so it's prob best you go get it done and then let us know. As regards Air bag units etc being replaced if something goes wrong if you were in an accident and when the insurance co. do a report it will show up the faults in history and it will have to be a V.W. approved dealer that fitted the parts. If not they won't pay up.

On V.W.'s, Air bag's, control units, pre-tens, they all go from time to time. I've seen polo9n on this web site a lot and fair enough in your case it prob is the cluster but you have been saying your going to get it done for a good long while now, so it's prob best you go get it done and then let us know. As regards Air bag units etc being replaced if something goes wrong if you were in an accident and when the insurance co. do a report it will show up the faults in history and it will have to be a V.W. approved dealer that fitted the parts. If not they won't pay up.

i agree on that mate...as i said to IRISHGunner, the decision is his..i am not persuading him to go to any particular garage.

Cannot go into too much detail but if you chase it up, you will find volkswagen will cover seatbelts and airbags for 5 years from purchase date

Sorry forgot to say this would also include control unit or any other work needed to get airbagsworking again

Back