Air Lingus strike threat

lemonhead

Any body got views on the reality of a strike taking place at the airline. I ask in the context of having booked a flight over christmas and their policy regarding the strike is that if the flight is cancelled, there will be a refund. However, if the strike is called today for example, the flight might not be cancelled until the day of the flight itself, in my case, mid December. If I want to make alternative arrangements I need to either book a second flight and take a chance on the Aer Lingus flight being cancelled, or simply do nothing and take a chance on not having a flight to take come the day.
My feeling is that this will be a nasty nasty dispute and all weapons including striking will be used.

hi I think you are dead on and there will be strike as a staff are being advised not to take the package being offered. I cant see them doing the week of xmas but maybe the week before... just speculating though!

The workers should bankrupt the company if they have to. At the end of the day most will loose their jobs and they will get paid even if the Government have to step in. This issue could make or break the union's -probably break. They should get advice from the union's in Dublin Bus -love them or hate them they do seem tobe the only union left in this country with any bottle. Why did the Government hold on to shares?
Have a nice day!

I have flights booked for the first week in December and I'm starting to get a little nervous. This I think is going to be a long, drawn out, dirty battle!

I certainly wont be booking any flights with Aer Lingus until this issue is resolved. I see this potentially going on through the summer and who is going to get hurt? The poor sods who miss their flights.

I think this will be a bad one.

Same here , travelling to the States in a fortnight and booked Continental instead of Aer Lingus even though it cost me €80 more.
Have a friend in Aer Lingus and he reckons things are going to get quite nasty over the next few weeks.

Is it possible to cancel flights with aer lingus or are they non-refundable?. I have flights booked for the 27th of Dec to Boston but I am worried that if the flights are cancelled I will also lose most of my accomadation money as it will be outside the cancellation period.

I just posted a similiar question and insurance cover too in that section. We are heading to disney and telling the kids that its not happening is just not an option so I booked alternative cheap flight out as a back up, I was unsure if a refund would be provided if there was a strike though and from the earlier poster that seems to be covered..... I too think it will get nasty ... bad timing for all concerned

Gut feeling tells me that the Christmas period will be left alone, I'm sure the unions will use it as a big bargaining tool but if flights are interfered with at this time I would imagine it would spell disaster for aer lingus.
Saying that I'm still really worried and in a pickle about what to do.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a penny with them until this whole matter has been resolved.

The workers should bankrupt the company if they have to. At the end of the day most will loose their jobs and they will get paid even if the Government have to step in. This issue could make or break the union's -probably break. They should get advice from the union's in Dublin Bus -love them or hate them they do seem tobe the only union left in this country with any bottle. Why did the Government hold on to shares?
Have a nice day!
The government don't have the power to step in if the company is bankrupted; if it goes under, it just goes under. The government can't bail out Aer Lingus.
In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before Aer Lingus folds. Thye run a very inefficient operation compared to their direct competitors, and it won't take long for their cash reserves to melt away if they can't get this message through to staff. While lots of cabin crew for instance are fairly clued in as to the realities of commerce, the ground staff have a lot to learn about the real world.
I would predict that Aer Lingus will struggle on through another year or so of industrial relations problems, and then will be taken over by Lufthansa or by Ryanair. It has some nice assets in the form of its Heathrow slots; there won't be any shortage of buyers.

Does anyone know when this strike is due to happen? Most news reports mention the Christmas period, but some have also mentioned this Friday! Im really concerned as Im flying to the US on Saturday morning, my flight is with BA from heathrow, but I am taking the early Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow. Not sure how I will be affected, and dont want to go off booking a Ryanair flight just in case as I would still have to make my way to Heathrow, and not sure if I can do this within the time frame, or if travel insurance would cover it. Help! Does anyone know where I can go to get advice on this, as for once I am completely clueless as to what my rights are
Thanks in advance

I would imagine your insurance would only cover the cost of a second ticket if the original was cancelled due to strike. Have a chat to your insurer to get advice on what to do.

Aerlingus might not cancel the flight and merely delay it to another day.Or they will allow you to change it for another date free of charge.

The first week of Dec has been mentioned as a likely time for the strike in some newspaper reports that I have seen.

Strike notice was served today by SIPTU. Expect a strike/industrial action from Nov.24th.

from www.independent.ie
Monday November 10 2008

SIPTU is to serve two weeks' strike notice on Aer Lingus this morning as part of a row over the company's latest €74m cost-cutting plan.

I also have flights booked with AL to Boston 1-10th Jan and like others have paid for accommodation in full already. It's not really an option with long haul to book another cheapie flight! I hope this is all sorted out before then!

like others have paid for accommodation in full already
Can you tell me why you pay in full in advance? I know MOST hotels in North America allow you to cancel up to 4pm day of arrival and most guest houses and B&B's up to a week beforehand so why have you and "others" paid for the accomodation in full in advance ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid for my hotel in advance with the JW Marriott in Washington DC for a holiday in late December.

Advance rate non-refundable $129 per night, normal rate €159.
Over five nights a substantial saving but not if Aer Lingus is on strike.

Do you think they will provide alternative flights with other airlines if
the strike goes ahead?

Do you think they will provide alternative flights with other airlines if
the strike goes ahead?
I got caught with them a few years ago. They would not rebook people on other airlines. All they would offer was refund or a free change of flight to another date.
Ended up having to spend over €300 to fly on British Midland to get to Heathrow for my onward flight.

Back