Air-Con or sunroof?

SpatenMan

Anybody with strong views out there on the benefits of air-con over a plain old sunroof?
Is air-con. hard on petrol? Do you need to have it on all the time?

Anybody experienced VW's Climatic Air-Conditioning option? Is it reliable? Worth E400 more than the sunroof?

Thanks.

you don't need it on all the time
you will not notice a difference in petrol usage

all aircon systems can break. The climatronic is known to have issues with the blower motor (erratic fan or no fan) but I have no idea if it is worse than any other brand out there.

AC definitely, especially if you spend long enough periods in the car. Sunroof has no impact when you are sitting in M50 car park on a hot stuffy day.

Air-con / climate control better resale value than sunroof I would imagine.

you can condition the air with air conditioning... to heat and not just cool. It dehumidifies the air... not just cools it.

Also, with climate control it will adjust all the settings for you without you doing anything.

I just set the car to 21 or 22 and Auto and it does the rest for me.

aircon every time, both would be nice,

My 01 passat climatronic works fine touch wood. No problems.

Sunroof isn't great for muggy days like today.

Aircon or climate.

Climate control all the way. As another poster said, I also have had mine on permanently, set at 20 degrees for more than 2 years. I never need to touch it, cools the car in summer, warms it in winter. Never have foggy windows either. Modern systems make negligable impact on fuel consumption, in fact opening the sunroof is probably worse, due to the drag it causes.
Another benefit is if you suffer from hayfever or asthma, in the warm weather you can close the windows keeping the dust/pollen out and still be cool and comfortable.

There are still misconceptions among many irish drivers as to the benefits of aircon, some friends of mine have it in their cars and never use it!!

I'm familiar with the climatronic in VW's, very good system, but its a lot more expensive than the manual aircon (climatic). Problem with the manual system is that you still need to constantly adjust the temp, fan speed, air direction yourself manuallty, whereas the climate is brilliant for doing all this automatically.

Definitely air con.

Great for demisting windows in our damp climate.

I wouldn't buy a car without it

Definitely air con.

Great for demisting windows in our damp climate.

I wouldn't buy a car without it. Worth every cent of €400

A/c is good, but I'm not sure if full climate control is worth any extra cost.

If I'm using a/c and it's too cool, I simply turn up the temperature. Simple.

sunroof can be nice, but air-con is bettter every time. Would tend to agree with RS2K about paying a lot extra for the convienience of climate control over regular A/C

Absolutely aircon. Offered the choice a while ago and took the wrong one. Baking on the motorway with choice of opening sunroof and being deafened and the wife's hair being just RUINED or keeping it shut and boiling up. Got kids since. Driving without aircon would be simply intolerable with screamers and puking in the back.

Or so it seems now that it aircon has been invented. I suppose people survived before it arrived. And wasn't the EU thinking of forcing manufacturers to phase out aircon cos of the extra environmental damage caused by it, or by the extra fuel is uses, or something?

Have A/C, cimate control and a sunroof, so it tick all the boxes. If I was given one to choose, it would be A/C - it also dehumidifies the air inside, so nice for those humid days we often get.

Mostly have mine set to 19 degrees on climate control - nice and cool

Sunroof for me.....CC doesn't give you a nice tan in the summer......

Back