AIB tracker refund arrived today

Hi cremegg

Well permanent tsb did not try that. They accepted appeals. Maybe they will try that defence when it gets to the FSO.

The Central Bank is all over this.

The pub advice is based on a misunderstandng. AIB is not making an offer in final settlement. They are making a payment.

Brendan

As far as I know, and with all the authority of an anonymous internet poster, in law, in general, if you accept a payment, (cash the cheque in this case), that is deemed as acceptance of the amount in settlement.

That is not the case in this situation. The terms clearly state that you are free to appeal whether you accept the cheque or not. This money is ours and the appeals process is there to determine if more money should be paid.....not to dispute what has been issued.

The point has already been proven by those of us with PTSB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an expectation , that the Ptsb will move to settle befor a high court judge hears the case ??

That really is pathetic! Keep going. I know it's a major pain and it seems to be dragging on forever but don't give up.

I certainly am not! With a bit of luck, they'll concede before we enter the court room.....(wishful thinking maybe!!)

Hi Dubhlin, do you mind if I ask if you had a Financial Advisor/Solicitor help with your appeal or did you go it alone? Thanks!

Is this an expectation , that the Ptsb will move to settle befor a high court judge hears the case ??

No.....I'm just being optimistic!! That's what they did with the main tracker issue originally so it looks like they like to take it to the wire. Because they have done this previously, there's every possibility that they would again though??

I am inclined to think as follows.

In those cases were people managed to survive = take the money.
In those cases were real hardship can be shown = appeal for more money..
In those cases were life was ruined = sue.

General, If you have survived thus far , take any half reasonable closure and get on with your life.

I accept AIB etc are @ best ,their usual chancers , but whats new about that !

=

I am inclined to think as follows.

In those cases were people managed to survive = take the money.
In those cases were real hardship can be shown = appeal for more money..
In those cases were life was ruined = sue.

General, If you have survived thus far , take any half reasonable closure and get on with your life.

I accept AIB etc are @ best ,their usual chancers , but whats new about that !

=

At long last, some pure common sense.

A good summary, but

If your life was ruined, you should appeal before suing.

If you get enough money on the appeal, you will get it done a lot quicker and it will cost you a lot less.

If you don't like the result of the appeal, then sue.

I also suspect that you will be better placed to sue as you will see the arguments they use.

Brendan

Back