AIB tracker refund arrived today

lollipop67

Ok, so the cheque arrived in the post. Includes amount overpaid, interest to compensate for not having access to money during period (time value of money), compensation at 15% and amount of €615 for independent financial advice. Very detailed set of documents which will take a while to digest. But I guess we can un cancel Christmas :) Hope some other people got cheques too.

It doesn't give the rate and I'm not sure what figure they are basing. It's described as the 'best one year fixed savings rate the AIB Group offered in each applicable month'.

Ok, so the cheque arrived in the post. Includes amount overpaid, interest to compensate for not having access to money during period (time value of money), compensation at 15% and amount of €615 for independent financial advice. Very detailed set of documents which will take a while to digest. But I guess we can un cancel Christmas :) Hope some other people got cheques too.
omg delighted for u fingers crossed mine arrives soon too... enjoy ur Christmas... do u mind me asking was the compensation on the full amount including interest over paid or just the overpayment if that makes sense... trying to work out how good of a Christmas I'll be having!!!

Last edited:
The 15% interest is calculated on the interest overcharged i.e. the bigger amount. Also, my Time Value of Money amount came to €441.95 based on an interest overpayment of €16,681. Hope your cheque arrives soon. It's interesting that they say that acceptance and cashing of the cheque does not affect your right to appeal.

The 15% interest is calculated on the interest overcharged i.e. the bigger amount. Also, my Time Value of Money amount came to €441.95 based on an interest overpayment of €16,681. Hope your cheque arrives soon. It's interesting that they say that acceptance and cashing of the cheque does not affect your right to appeal.
thanks for the reply... didn't hear anything about the time value of money before... would there be any point in appealing it if I could get the cheque i'd be happy!!
happy shopping!!

That was the same as PTSB.

Congratulations on getting your money back. I'm anxiously waiting for ours. I hope ours comes before Christmas. We've been overcharged €54,000 (40,000overpayments)so it will be interesting to see what we get.

Does post come on a Saturday in a December

Have a great Christmas.

Hi all
I would seek legal advice before cashing your cheques. I got mine Friday and a Friend advised cashing it is in a small way saying your happy with the poultry 15% I for one would say 50% is more like it. If your your boss robbed 400 a month of you for years. Would you call the guards sure you would. Keep that in mind they robbed us

You do not need to take legal advice. Just cash your cheque.

You are in no way limiting your ability to
  • appeal for more
  • appeal to the FSO
  • take a court case.
Brendan

Many of you are going to be so delighted with getting the money that you will not appeal. But you all should think about what difference this overcharge made to your lives in the last few years and than you should appeal. It will of course not apply to every case but there are some of you who split up, who had terrible Christmas's, missed family holidays, and worse, etc etc.

Here here
The timing of payments should also be questioned just before Christmas when people would take any money they can . Insurance companies do the same trick. Brendan quick question you say cash the cheque but by doing so are you not going to weaken your hand.
Banks
we did our best we got you YOUR money in time to save Christmas so we didn't ruin another Christmas for you. All your pain and suffering ended when you cashed your cheque and now your just being greedy looking for more.
Why did the banks send a cheque for the 15% when they could have sent the over payment first with the offer of 15% because there looking out for us that's why .if you want your over payment back you must also take our 15% and you never know you might just leave it at that.
Something to think about before cashing out early

Here here
The timing of payments should also be questioned just before Christmas when people would take any money they can . Insurance companies do the same trick. Brendan quick question you say cash the cheque but by doing so are you not going to weaken your hand.
Banks
we did our best we got you YOUR money in time to save Christmas so we didn't ruin another Christmas for you. All your pain and suffering ended when you cashed your cheque and now your just being greedy looking for more.
Why did the banks send a cheque for the 15% when they could have sent the over payment first with the offer of 15% because there looking out for us that's why .if you want your over payment back you must also take our 15% and you never know you might just leave it at that.
Something to think about before cashing out early

Colm, your mate that advised you not to cash the cheque, was he a solicitor or just some fella making pub chat that said it would weaken your position?

Claims manager for a large insurance company. I for one will take his advise and get legal advice before cashing my cheque but I also understand some people do not have the luxury of waiting until they get advice

Claims manager for a large insurance company.

I used to work in an insurance company and all claims cheques were issued in full and final settlement.

This is what the Redress Letter from AIB says:

upload_2016-12-12_16-42-49.png

But if you want to further enrich the legal profession, off you go.

Brendan

Claims manager for a large insurance company. I for one will take his advise and get legal advice before cashing my cheque but I also understand some people do not have the luxury of waiting until they get advice

Colm, I'm PTSB so I got cheque for OP and compensation in August 2015. Cheque lodged/cashed immediately. My appeal is currently in process.

No need to hold off!!

HI Wardy7

We received our appeal compensation yesterday and it was a large disappointment . We initially received a 5000 euro compensation for an over payment of 47,000 euro in six years and yesterdays letter was for 350 in medical expenses and a further 850 to close the claim .We barely made trough the six years and the non financial loss where huge on a household of 5 . Its the FSO and possible court next

That really is pathetic! Keep going. I know it's a major pain and it seems to be dragging on forever but don't give up.

I certainly am not! With a bit of luck, they'll concede before we enter the court room.....(wishful thinking maybe!!)

You do not need to take legal advice. Just cash your cheque.

You are in no way limiting your ability to
  • appeal for more
  • appeal to the FSO
  • take a court case.
Brendan

At the risk of being accused of making pub chat, I would like to know what you are basing this advice on other than the terms of the AIB letter.

As far as I know, and with all the authority of an anonymous internet poster, in law, in general, if you accept a payment, (cash the cheque in this case), that is deemed as acceptance of the amount in settlement.

I expect that if a person cashs the cheque and subsequently appeals, AIB will say, that case was settled, we paid x amount and the customer accepted it. While that may or may not stand up legally, do you really doubt that AIB will try that. Even given the terms of their letter.

Back