AIB Standing Order -Electric Ireland Issue

EvenStevens

I pay Electric Ireland by Direct Debit every couple of months. I was doing the Equaliser payment each month but have come off that and they advised me I could set up a standing order to pay an amount in each month so that the bills aren't too scary every 2nd month. However I tried to do this on AIB and they advised it's not possible to set up a standing order to Electric Ireland. They have this bill pay option where you set up the company but it's based on you paying a specific bill rather than an amount chosen by you. Seems really strange that there isn't the option to do this? I think it's AIB's decision rather than Electric Ireland as there is a whole list of companies that are on the list. Just wondering if anyone knows why? I have Revolut so I think I can do a standing order type thing with them but seems strange.

Rather than setting it up as a bill payment can you set it up as a regular standing order with whatever account details and reference (often the account number) that Electric Ireland advise? It may be that some or all banks automatically class bill payments as variable and so direct debits rather than fixed amount standing orders?

Or maybe you could just pay it manually each billing period by EFT:
But you may lose any discounts tied to paying by DD/SO and you'll have to remember to pay it! :)

Rather than setting it up as a bill payment can you set it up as a regular standing order with whatever account details and reference (often the account number) that Electric Ireland advise? It may be that some or all banks automatically class bill payments as variable and so direct debits rather than fixed amount standing orders?

Or maybe you could just pay it manually each billing period by EFT:
But you may lose any discounts tied to paying by DD/SO and you'll have to remember to pay it! :)
That's exactly what I tried to do. Electric Ireland gave me the IBAN and then when I inputted it and tried to set up the SO they said I had to do the bill pay thing. No option to do a fixed monthly recurring payment.

ebilling, PDF invoice emailed to you by EI every 60 days or so, pay-on-time by EFT entitles the consumer to a 4.5% discount on the electricity charges, not the supplementary charges though. Sign up with an email address on their website.

I've been using for years.

ebilling, PDF invoice emailed to you by EI every 60 days or so, pay-on-time by EFT entitles the consumer to a 4.5% discount on the electricity charges, not the supplementary charges though. Sign up with an email address on their website.

I've been using for years.
Thanks for the clarification.
I assumed that most or all service providers only gave discounts for DD payment.

Back