AIB Staff to receive 3% pay increase?

MANTO

Hi All,

A friend of mine told me AIB staff are to get a 3% Pay Increase this year (she said its from a reliable source),

Has anybody else heard this?

Thanks
M

My understanding is that it is a performance related rise with rises ranging from 0-5.5% depending on an individuals performance and is based on a recommendation from the LRC some time back and which was put on hold for 6 months

Thank you Mpsox,

It adds to the controversy within my workplace. We have a list of 111 Companies who have paid the first Phase or Both of the Transitional Agreement Towards 2016.

Our company (i do not wish to say) make millions in profit every year and have increased their profit margin ove the past 5 years and still increasing but will not pay the wage deal.

I know others will think - what? you are looking for a wage increase - but if 111 companies have paid, why not ours (a profitable company).

We are currently waiting on the court ruling at this stage (ps the company had no valid agruement as why to not pay when it went to court so it looks like the ruling may be favourable).

Nice to see the Banking Sector can still get their increases (not that i deny any hard working individual but no doubt there will be many that get the increase that probably shouldnt)

(no doubt there will be many that get the increase that probably shouldnt)

Not really a constructive point in fairness. That could be said about every business/workplace in the country.

Including your own.

They didn't cause the mess, they are more than entitled to a wage increase if AIB sees fit. That's the benefit with working in the private sector.

Playing Devil's advocate, but couldn't the same be said of public sector workers (and I know that "they didn't cause this" is a popular phrase in that area). Not that I'm advocating an increase in public sector wages. With AIB requiring several billion and possibly requiring more money to bail them out, this would put them in the same boat as the public sector and the government deficit.

Hi all, first time poster so go easy on me. Sorry if my post is not really relevant but I feel very strongly on this area & don't know where else to vent my frustration.

I'm a bank official (pls don't judge me on that alone, I'm actally a ''very nice' bank official ;) ), though I do not work in AIB. If AIB staff are being treated the way the staff in my bank are being treated, then they deserve far more than 3%. Unpaid overtime on a daily basis (branch staff only - staff in departments get paid for all their overtime, go figure??!!). Staff cutbacks leading to increased individual workloads for already overworked staff. Extreme Extreme sales pressure, even now during a recession, so much so that I have been reduced to tears on an regular basis recently. The manager trying to excuse the banks behaviour by telling us that we are lucky to have our jobs, even though we did nothing to put our jobs on the line!! On top of that, i have never had so much verbal abuse from the public. I know someone who was spat at recently. I wish people would direct their anger towards the banks at senior management & not ordinary bank staff who actually work very hard for their customers. Sorry for the rant, feeling very emotional today after another terrible day at work. I myself missed a 9% increase due to me this year & I am on an indefinite pay freeze - 3% would be an insult if I was offered it by the bank. As soon as we are back on our feet again, I will be looking for a new job outside the bank!! In 9 years working for this bank, I have never been treated so badly.

Unpaid overtime on a daily basis (branch staff only - staff in departments get paid for all their overtime, go figure??!!). Staff cutbacks leading to increased individual workloads for already overworked staff.

No overtime ever paid in my department!! No leave allowed at quarter ends, christmas, have to work bank holidays. My income will be down about 30% for 2009 and we are just expected to work harder than ever and take crap from headline grabbing joe public. Boils my blood to hear public sector workers moan about the pension levy (you get it back!) and the possibility of a 10% paycut, try surviving on 30% less!

Hopefully the IBOA will step in and all Bank staff will get a 3% increase, it would certainly help!

They didn't cause the mess

so bank staff did the proper due diligence before lending? They asked about credit union or other personal loans? The asked where the deposit was coming from? They advised their customers to be cautious and helped them understand the risk of rising interest rates?

I always laugh at how unions are so quick to proclaim that profits and growth are a function of the work of their members but losses and problems are always a result of the actions of senior management... or just 'someone else'.

they are more than entitled to a wage increase if AIB sees fit. That's the benefit with working in the private sector.

AIB is now more of a semi-state company than a private company influenced greatly by the government. AIB can not survive without state support. I am not sure how the staff are 'more than entitled' to a payrise but it is definitely not down to AIB seeing fit. It should be down to what the market dictates to retain specific talent and whether the company can afford to pay more.

The problem here is not that individuals in AIB do not deserve pay rises for their individual performance, the problem is the culture of entitlement it propogates to other organisations. Why would Irish Nationwide staff or Anglo staff not also get a pay rise? If I was a public servant seeing pay rises in the banking sector, I would be getting ready to strike if I felt the government was cutting my pay but pouring money in to the banks who are paying it out to staff in raises.

I always laugh at how unions are so quick to proclaim that profits and growth are a function of the work of their members but losses and problems are always a result of the actions of senior management... or just 'someone else'.

You could not have put this any better. I would go one step further and point out that Joe Public will boast and congratulate himself during boom times when his pay and assets' values are rising. As soon as there is a bust he is very quick to focus the blame on someone/anyone else. I see this all the time with friends and colleagues; people just don't like to accept responsibility for their own decisions and actions when they don't go right.

. . As soon as we are back on our feet again, I will be looking for a new job outside the bank!! In 9 years working for this bank, I have never been treated so badly.

Welcome POBO and your views are important. You will see from my previous posts I 'm not a bank fan but the recent crisis is not a reason for the public to be rude to bank staff. I presume because you are in the front line that the anger is vented at you. In relation to your job I've noticed in recent years that it has become just a glorified sales job. Could you eloborate on the how your are pressurised into selling?

In all honesty, a large proportion of AIB staff had little or nothing to do with toxic strategies or poor management policies so I wouldn't think they should be tarred with the same brush.

POBO & Teknon, while I understand your frustration, you need to understand the optics of any pay increase should same be applied in Banking this year. Your Bank has been recapitalised in the billions of euros and the excessive lending carried out by the Bank (and others) needs the Nama solution. This money cannot go on staff pay increases!

You may be working harder now; so be it. I can assure the grass is not greener on the other side. Talk to some of your colleagues in the debt collection areas. I would question the continued sales focus - the Bank should be retaining capital!

Teknon, in your comments, you are being disingenuous. I assume your 'reduction' is bonus. As bonuses are discretionary if the Bank does not perform, how can you be paid? I know of no Bank that has reduced pay. There may be a pay freeze, so don't dress this up as a reduction either as you are only encouraging the behaviour you wish to avoid. Quarter ends etc. depending on the nature of the work require staff on ther ground to manage them. What do you expect. Be careful what you wish for as the dole queue is not a nice place to be.

I think this thread is a disgrace - extremely petty. I know an employee of AIB that works 60+ hours a week, and this 3% amounted to about €60 extra a month. Hardly even worth having! To think you are begrudging that is unfathomable.

A trade union leader should not have to write a letter to a national newspaper pleading for members of the public to differentiate between high level bankers and ordinary officials.

The fact that he did speaks volumes for the intelligence of some of those sheep out there.

I think this thread is a disgrace - extremely petty. I know an employee of AIB that works 60+ hours a week, and this 3% amounted to about €60 extra a month. Hardly even worth having! To think you are begrudging that is unfathomable.

I work 50hours+ a week and work extremly hard, i will begrudge him that 60euro if its coming from my pocket in the extra taxes that im sure im going to have to pay after the next budget to save his employer.

€60 pm would make a massive difference to me, its certainly "worth having".

Why are AIB staff getting a 3% pay rise?
What have they done to deserve this and on what basis is it justified?

it has nothing to do with whether or not the pay rise is justified - it is all to do with whether the bank can afford it or not. Lots of people in struggling companies could justify pay rises for their staff, but they just can't afford to pay them.

AIB is on state-funded life support. While taxpayers are propping the bank up, it should be using all of its money to rebuild its capital base, not giving staff pay rises.

When it no longer relies on taxpayers for financial assistance, then it can pay its staff whatever the hell it likes. Until then, pay rises are totally out of order.

Pinkie - you are missing the point. There are approx 18k employees. When the 3% is applied to all in light of the recapitalisation it is a major own goal by the Bank. This is not about your friend or how hard he/she works.

Have I missed something. Were AIB not ordered by the Labour Relations Commission to pay the award. Blame so called social partnership for it. AIB wanted a paycut across the board. The award only applies to people below management level as well.

Back