AIB Regular Saver Account Rate Drop

whatsmoney

Hi folks
Just noticed the rate on my AIB regular saver account dropped on Feb 9th from 3.5% to 1%.
T&Cs stated that it would be ECB + 2.5% for 12 months from account opening, but I had the better rate for a lot longer than 12 months.
May be of interest to people to check if it also dropped for them.

Actually I just checked and had the rate for only 12 months.... but it is a good reminder for people to check that their one year introductory rate is finished!! ;0)

Yeah, the rate changes after 12 months.

Another one of the many sneaky T&C's that AIB attach to this product to trick their customers with headline rates and subsequently play on inertia.

AIB: Regular Saver
3.50% for year 1 up to €6,000.
1.00% for year 2.
Note 1: Interest paid in Apr and half in Oct.
Note 2: Regular lodgements required by direct debit only.
Note 3: Minimum €10 a month; Maximum €500.
Note 4: Payment holiday allowed under certain circumstances.
Note 5: You must have a suitable AIB account to open a Regular Saver Account for both lodgements and withdrawals.
Note 6:NB: At the end of the 12 months the account interest rate will change to AIB's standard variable rate.
Note 7: Different conditions apply to accounts open prior to 14th April 2009.
Note 8: ECB+2.5% guaranteed for year one.

So to get the decent interest rate again, do you literally have to just close the account and then open the same account up again straight away?

So to get the decent interest rate again, do you literally have to just close the account and then open the same account up again straight away?

No. You cannot transfer a lump sum from your old regular saver into a new regular saver as it is capped at 500 EUR per month.

Choose a different product with a different bank that does not screw customers over after one year.

Back