AIB query - Debit Card doesn’t always work on my phone…

TheBargyman

I use my iPhone to pay for groceries etc… in lieu of taking cards and wallet with me everywhere I go.

I have noticed that when I use my AIB Debit Card about 1 in 4 times it doesn’t work when I tap the card or pay using my phone but will work if I put the card in the machine using chip and pin.

Does anyone else have this issue or this an AIB security issue where the card has to be used physically every 4 uses?

My use is very similar to yours but I've never had a problem such as you describe.

Maybe talk to AIB?

Hello,

I believe that there's a secutity feature built in, that requires a transaction to be processed via chip and pin, every few transactions.

I'm not sure if it counts small value transactions, or not, which may explain the frequency of the requirement being variable.

It's basically a check to ensure that the cardholder is the person making the payments.

I'm pretty sure that more than AIB have this requirement.

Hello,

I believe that there's a secutity feature built in, that requires a transaction to be processed via chip and pin, every few transactions.

I'm not sure if it counts small value transactions, or not, which may explain the frequency of the requirement being variable.

It's basically a check to ensure that the cardholder is the person making the payments.

that is a standard requirement but I've not heard it as being as frequent as 1 in 4. I'm with BoI and it works out at around 1 in 10 or if I have been in the UK I usually get asked on my return to key a PIN on one of my first transactions back

Hello,

I think that's only if you're using the physical card as the phone requires a pin to use the payment wallet anyway.

Back