AIB paying 1.00% for Regular Saver Product

Effective 21 February 2023 AIB are increasing their deposit rates.

Regular Saver: 1% up to €1,000 per month for the first 12 months.

Some small increases in other deposit rates too. Full list of changes here.

I was informed by an AIB staff member in a branch yesterday that one needs a AIB current account to open the Regular Saver. I wonder is this correct?

I was informed by an AIB staff member in a branch yesterday that one needs a AIB current account to open the Regular Saver. I wonder is this correct?
Yes. This is due to bad system design. You need to use a atm/debit card for 2FA for the savings account and savings accounts do not have cards! You can just leave the current account there with zero funds in it, they claim ( I have it in writing) it will not become dormant and have charges/fees.

Hi all, I opened one of these accounts today, I just have a query, I lodged €1000 into the account today - in order to receive the online regular saver interest rate of 1% (with effect from next week), I cannot make another lodgement of €1000 to this account until the 17th of March, is that correct ?

Hi all, I opened one of these accounts today, I just have a query, I lodged €1000 into the account today - in order to receive the online regular saver interest rate of 1% (with effect from next week), I cannot make another lodgement of €1000 to this account until the 17th of March, is that correct ?
The terms and conditions of the account should clarify.

That is my interpretation of them anyways

Attachments

• FA9E32CA-B124-43CF-95CC-9990BF298CC8.png
    FA9E32CA-B124-43CF-95CC-9990BF298CC8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
Perhaps someone may be able to clarify, maybe it might be ok to lodge another €1000 on 01/03/2023

You can lodge as much as you want whenever you want (up to 1m euro). The amount earning the higher rate will increase each month.
Yes so in theory you can lodge €12,000 on day 1 (to get the best out of this account ) and withdraw a year later- which would be the same thing as drip feeding in €1000 every month

If your €12,000 is available to remain invested for longer than 12 months, then the BOI Goalsaver is a better option, even though the headline rate is lower. This is because at the end of the year your balance (up to €15,000) continues to earn interest at the full rate. And if you have another €15,000 you can open a second Goalsaver account. But given current rates, you'd wonder if these accounts are worth the time and the faff they involve. Raisin might be a better option.

My emergency fund, which happens to be €12k, is already in an AIB Online Saver account.

Is it safe to assume the interest will go up automatically on it without me doing anything? I suppose I'll find out in a few days.

Can I open additional accounts and avail of the increase?

€ 1.50 a week after DIRT - oops, no!
It's a regular savings account, so probably only € 0.75 a week over the 12 months

If your €12,000 is available to remain invested for longer than 12 months, then the BOI Goalsaver is a better option, even though the headline rate is lower. This is because at the end of the year your balance (up to €15,000) continues to earn interest at the full rate. And if you have another €15,000 you can open a second Goalsaver account. But given current rates, you'd wonder if these accounts are worth the time and the faff they involve. Raisin might be a better option.
I wouldn't recommend BOI Goalsaver. It was a disaster trying to open. Firstly staff were quite ignorant when I tried to open in-branch and ordered me out the door ( eventhough I was told no appointment necessary). I already have a demand deposit account with the bank. Tried to open online and Submitted all documents online. Then a few days later received a call from my branch saying I needed to produce id and proof of address in the branch ( despite having already forwarded online) then when I called in branch lady who summoned me by phone couldn't be found and told would have to call back. Then they asked source of funds which I explained. Then they said they wanted proof of source of funds. I was amazed at this as 1. I only committed to saving €200 per month and 2. I have zero on deposit with them. The only account I have with them has been consistently receiving rental income from my tenants for 20 yesrs which I transfer out and fully declare to Revenue. I used to have my current account with them but left 2 years ago when hiked fees. The bank have gone down in my estimation. Whilst I understand money laundering requirements I thought they were unnecessarily stringent in requesting proof of source of funds to open goalsaver so I just decided not to go ahead. I read somewhere else it's unusual to request proof of source of funds. Its not as if I had a large deposit with them. Its becoming quite unpleasant having any dealings in a bank these days. Years ago we knew all the bankers by name and one felt very welcome. I foresee all branches closing in the future.

Back