AIB Overcharge Again - 8,805 Customers Affected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15931889

The First Trust Bank is refunding a total of £347,187 to 8,805 customers who were incorrectly charged fees.

The average customer refund is £40 and includes compensatory interest.

The bank has apologised to customers affected by the error, which arose when certain fees were manually applied to fee exempt accounts.

It said changes had been put in place to prevent a reoccurrence.

Customers can contact the First Trust Bank on 0800 328 2043.

AIB have a track record of this ...

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2...nks-simple-errors-or-something-more-sinister/

Hi, didn't want to start an entire thread for this so posting here as it seems relevant.

I have two AIB current accounts. One is the main account that was initially a Cash Save account and the other I use for budgeting (transferring money from the other account and back). The main account operates on the basis of a quarterly fee being charged and then refunded (as I tick the T&C for no-fee banking). The second account has never had a quarterly fee applied.

I had transferred money out of the second account last Tuesday so the balance was at nil. Just checked it tonight and saw that AIB had applied a new quarterly fee of €4.70 on Friday, hence it was in debit. I transferred money in from the main account to cover the charge and will query it with AIB. I mainly want to know - before I raise the issue with AIB - whether AIB's own €4.70 charge when the balance was at nil will result in them attempting to apply more interest and charges on that basis. I checked my online messages and there were none relating to the new charge. I haven't received any written notification of a change in T&C either.

Update: I closed the second account. I will do my budgeting elsewhere. I asked them if there were any further associated charges and they said that there was a cent due because it had been in debit for a day. However, in an act of charity not previously seen from Irish banks, they said they would waive the cent. I put it back in my purse.

Back