AIB Online Debit Card authentication

Ryan

My elderly grandparents don’t have online banking (AIB) but I recently tried to pay their car tax from my laptop using their debit card but it appears you need the App to authenticate online payments
Is there any way around this? I’m sure there are a good number of older people in this position

We dint really want them to have online banking either because we are afraid they would fall for an elaborate scam

It's possible, but i haven't used it. You need to register for online banking. Then sign in and set a password. You then use the password together with a one time PIN sent to phone each time.

In person or by post?

How to apply for motor tax​

You can pay motor tax:

In person or by post?

That’s just an example

Or you could pay with your own card and they write you a cheque.

However banking has changed and these days online banking is all but essential. To avoid similar future issues why don't you encourage your grandparents to set up onb. I'm assuming that if they're still driving they have most of their faculties, and contrary to popular belief they are no more likely to fall for scams than any other age group - https://www.irishtimes.com/business...nerable-to-scams-than-older-people-ptsb-says/

Frankly paying by post or in person sound like so much more effort.

Back