AIB - not possible to set up payees

haroldsxxx

I'm an AIB current a/c holder and often need to set up new account payees. One is limited to transfers to those already set up as payees. This - pretty basic - facility has not been available for well over a month now. And when you try to access it it says that the service is not available and 'to try later'.

This is bogus as from talking to AIB staff the facility has been removed for security purposes and is being currently reworked, presumably to make it less exposed to scammers. To set up a new payee, you have to do it via phone with an AIB staffer.

Are any AAMers not annoyed by this? AIB has charged me the bones of 70 euros in quarterly fees on two accounts and cannot provide a basic service. And are not upfront about why they cannot provide the service.

It is very annoying alright and whilst I have not read it myself I understand it has been discussed and complained about a lot on social media recently.

On phoning them this week I got the same excuse that you were given. It took me 30 mins on hold to get to talk to someone so overall a right pain. I understand the only time to ring is 9 a.m.

you would be surprised how technologically advanced other European banks are and when you get back to Irish banks it's just shocking.
I'm not surprised tbh, I was switching current account from EBS to AIB to avail no fees on c/a. I called them 3 times to ensure everything is in order yet they tried to take the payment from old bank which charged me for dd that didn't go through.

I paid a new person yesterday from my AIB account.

I didn't start by setting up a payee.
I started by setting up a payment and clicked "pay someone new"
I can't remember being asked if I wanted to save their details.

And the payee sent me an email to say that the payment had been received.

Brendan

As above, you can make a one-time payment, just not save the payee. 1k limit via App, or 10k limit via internet banking.

AIB will also set up new payee for you over the phone. No idea what wait times are like though.

Does AIB not use a code card reader anymore? (I'm not a customer for a few years).

I would have thought user ID + password + reader-generated code is pretty hard to compromise by a scammer.

You can set up a new payee on a pc, but not on the app. It's stupid, especially given that you have to validate the pc logon on your mobile.

I think double validation is a great security measure. You must be logged into the online account on your computer *and* be in possession of the registered mobile device to make account changes. Well done AIB.

You must be logged into the online account on your computer *and* be in possession of the registered mobile device to make account changes. Well done AIB.

BOI do this as well. As does my Credit Union (for online transfers of money).

PayPal are now doing the same thing.

You can set up a new payee on a pc, but not on the app. It's stupid, especially given that you have to validate the pc logon on your mobile.

At the moment you can't set up a new payee even on the PC. You have to ring the Call Centre and they set it up. You may be able to overcome it by doing a one-off payment as Red Onion mentions below:

As above, you can make a one-time payment, just not save the payee. 1k limit via App, or 10k limit via internet banking.

AIB will also set up new payee for you over the phone. No idea what wait times are like though.

I think double validation is a great security measure. You must be logged into the online account on your computer *and* be in possession of the registered mobile device to make account changes. Well done AIB.
Except for people like me who literally do everything on the phone,and don't own a pc.

Only did this the other day. Had to make two transfers to the same person as it was over the 10k daily limit (car purchase)

it was a total pain. Inputting the same details and not being given an option to save details. I thought I had just missed a step but I double checked the next time and the save details option is definitely gone and I did it from the pc.

I can’t understand why the limit on the app is only 1k. They now use two factor authentication as well as the codec card.
It’s bonkers.

Does anyone know if this is the long term plan for AIB or is it some temporary systems problem?

I have just paid someone new from my pc and I had no problem. But I was not offered the chance to save the payee.

For future reference, should I set the payee up first?

Can I set up the payee without ringing AIB?

Brendan

Only did this the other day. Had to make two transfers to the same person as it was over the 10k daily limit (car purchase)

it was a total pain. Inputting the same details and not being given an option to save details. I thought I had just missed a step but I double checked the next time and the save details option is definitely gone and I did it from the pc.

I can’t understand why the limit on the app is only 1k. They now use two factor authentication as well as the codec card.
It’s bonkers.

Worse - you can reuse previous transfer details on PC from Accounts > Payment Logs, but only for international payments.

Hi Brendan,

When I asked about this they said it was because scams were at an all time high during Covid so probably only time will tell but I would imagine they are getting a lot of complaints about this.

Yeah, it appears to be only possible to arrange it yourself through one-off transactions.

If you want to set the payee up permanently you will need to ring them alright.

Early in the morning is probably the best time to ring. I think they start at 9 a.m.

Thanks Sue

That is a pain ok.

The last time I rang them it took me ages to even get through to the options with all the messages beforehand.

Then their multiple layers of options.

Brendan

A friend was filling me in about a very clever business-to-business fraud he was nearly a victim of a while ago.

I won't give details but I can see why banks are cautious about setting up new payees.

The option is there to set up a new payee but when you try it says

1619012454385.png

I have just noticed that in the payment log, there is a reuse button.
1619012698741.png

But I think it disappears very quickly. I made a payment yesterday, and the reuse button is gone already.

Brendan

The option is there to set up a new payee but when you try it says

View attachment 5530

Yes, that's the very annoying aspect of it, you think you are getting around the system and up pops this.
I have just noticed that in the payment log, there is a reuse button.
View attachment 5531
But I think it disappears very quickly. I made a payment yesterday, and the reuse button is gone already.

Brendan
Hadn't noticed that. The 'Pay a Beneficiary' on the Quick Pay bar is very handy but presumably only your permanent payees appear there and not any of the one-off payees even for a short while.

Back